Trusted Contributor

I was thinking of ordering from Olive Garden and will pay when I place my order on-line using my credit card. Do you know, do they give you the option when placing your order to give a tip?   Or,  are you suppose to hand money to the person when they give you your order curbside?  (I don't think they probably want to handle cash as it could have the virus on it)?

I've never done carryout before and don't know how you go about this.  Are you suppose to tip?  If I hand the person a tip, is that bad as they may be scared to take the money as it could contain the virus?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I was thinking of trying this during the next weekend and as I said, I've never in my life have done takeout.   

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Re: Restaurant Curbside Pick-up

We ordered Perry's online/payment takeout yesterday.  They said "no tipping" since they added a service charge.  They brought food to the car, put in back seat and no contact at all.  

Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop Any on-line ordering for pickup that we've done the last couple weeks we've added a tip at that time as restaurants around here aren't accepting cash.  

Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

I was thinking of ordering from Olive Garden and will pay when I place my order on-line using my credit card. Do you know, do they give you the option when placing your order to give a tip?   Or,  are you suppose to hand money to the person when they give you your order curbside?  (I don't think they probably want to handle cash as it could have the virus on it)?

I've never done carryout before and don't know how you go about this.  Are you suppose to tip?  If I hand the person a tip, is that bad as they may be scared to take the money as it could contain the virus?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I was thinking of trying this during the next weekend and as I said, I've never in my life have done takeout.   

Thank you!

Ordering online is easy peasy.  You have an option of adding a tip to your cc when you place your order.  You can also give cash to whoever brings the food to your car.  I don't like to add tips to my cc, so I usually give cash.  However, now that we are taking so many precautions while we are socially distancing ourselves, I'd probably add one to my cc.  I usually give less than what I'd pay if I were actually eating in the restaurant, but this is a special time and restaurant workers are having hardships.  I read recently that it's suggested you give a 25 percent tip IF you can afford it.   I'm sure anything you can give will be appreciated. 

Esteemed Contributor

Olive Garden gives you the option when you give them your card number. 

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop   I think it depends on the "rules" in your area.

ALL restaurants in my neck of woods regarding "pick-ups" in store and/or "curb-side," EVERYONE must be wearing gloves & masks.

I tip in cash.  I hand it over w/my gloves & mask on.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I haven't been handling cash at all right now. As a matter of fact I haven't gotten any cash from the ATM for over three weeks.  Everything is done with my CC. 

So far I've added a tip when placing the order using my CC with a restaurant pick up, did curbside pick up with a local farm market & curbside once at the grocery store.  We also have the pharmacy drop the prescriptions off and I tell them to leave it outside by the door. 

I just don't want to handle cash or get unnecessarily close to someone when I can pay with a CC.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Much as I'd like to do it I'm afraid to order curbside pickup because even tho the person bringing out the food may be gloved and masked I don't what if any protective measures are being taken in the kitchen with food handling/cooking/packing or who might not be feeling so good but went to work anyway because they need the paycheck. I can worry about that in the best of times but too much so right now. 

Honored Contributor

When we pick up meals at our local restaurants we tip HEAVILY. They only have us to keep them afloat remember. Please tip them well.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

i may be in tbe minority on this, but i dont believe it is appropriate or expected for one to tip for curbside pickup.