Valued Contributor

Remembering little holiday decorations from years ago..

I have tons of the little elves, remember how  they came on dish detergent and laundry soap? They decorate my hallway garland,  such funny little faces! 

I also collect pinecones elves from the 1920s and 30,s.I have many 60s annalees,when the faces were painted by hand . lots of Dresden ornaments and one 8 ft tree with nothing but hallmark since 93.Even have the elusive hallmark treetopper, makes stars and snowflakes above it.The tree hold 143 hallmark  ornaments..Im adding 6 more this year. It is all these special little memories that make  christmas....Outside I collect blow molds from the 50s and 60s so cute frosty, Santa's elves,  reindeer, Mr and Mrs Claus, candy canes , soldiers and a whole  nativity set .I have about 40.. Life wouldn't spark up without all these things,Makes  my precious husband and I happy, last night we went outside, bundled up walked to the middle of our yard and stood there  in a happy state, my sweet  Husband said, "look what 25 years of love  made!" Yes this house was representing all the years of happy memories..Life can be magical, we are proof!What makes your holiday light up ? What do you love?Sending you the wish of dreams and hope, love and always hugs, MaryAnne 

Regular Contributor

Re: Remembering little holiday decorations from years ago..

[ Edited ]

That is a lovely story.  I have one ornament that has been on every Christmas tree since I was born.  It's 65 years old.  Forty-five years ago, I hand-crafted 3 ornaments for our first Christmas tree.  Those go on every years also.  I have a number of Christmas Decorations that I made in ceramics that are 35 years old.  I love them and remember the ladies that I sat around the table with  on Sunday afternoons while our husbands were home watching football.  Then, there is my dear nativity scene that we have had for about 40 years.  I didn't have any money to buy one so I had a Home Interiors party so I could get it.  Memories of Christmases past are very special to me also. 

Valued Contributor

@Tuppermore, you sound like me!Except my two first christmas ornaments go on last,  to previous to get jolted around.Thank you so much for the lovely reply.It really is the memories that make life precious. Sending you a special christmas hug and the wish for healthy happy New Year!hugs,MaryAnne 

Respected Contributor

@Still keeper of the koi wrote:

I have tons of the little elves, remember how  they came on dish detergent and laundry soap? They decorate my hallway garland,  such funny little faces! 

I have several of those little elves too....I hang them on my tree.  Love them!   Most of my ornaments have been used for years, and many have stories..... love seeing them every year.  

Honored Contributor

I have one ornament from my childhood, it is a red glass ball with a flocked village. I have no idea how it managed to stay in one piece all of these years. It was my favorite, and I always hung it on the tree. I don't miss being a child , but I sure miss my family that is gone, that ornament is a nice reminder of happier times.🎄🎅🎄

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Would it be possible for someone to take pictures so we could see them  What a treat that would be

Honored Contributor

I still have some Gurley candles.  Some of my faves are the choir boys like these:

Image result for gurley candles choir boys

I have a pic of me in my dress with the big petticoat skirt at a table with them.

I used to have the bubble lights from the 50's or so but they were lost somewhere through the years.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

I still have some Gurley candles.  Some of my faves are the choir boys like these:

I have a pic of me in my dress with the big petticoat skirt at a table with them.

I used to have the bubble lights from the 50's or so but they were lost somewhere through the years.

@Cakers3-

I think either my mil or my mother had these!Smiley Happy

and I remember the bubble candles!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Cakers3-

I think either my mil or my mother had these!Smiley Happy

and I remember the bubble candles!

@on the bay  Gurley candles were a big item on Ebay about 10 years ago.   I've seen them in antique stores and if the sticker is still on the bottom they are worth more.  Mine have them.

These nostalgia items rise up and down in price all the time. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

What I remember is stencils and spray-on snow for the windows, along with candles that sat on the windowsill.