Respected Contributor

Chrissy Tiegen just wrote an essay on her postpartum depression.  I experienced this with my second child.  I felt like someone was pulling down the sides of my face - it felt so heavy.  In the hospital my mom would say - let's go see the baby (this is in the old days when the babies were not kept in the room with you).  I would tell people - you go ahead.  I didn't want to take the baby home, I wanted to leave her at the hospital.  This went on quite awhile - back then I don't think people knew what postpartum depression was.  It is a real thing, despite what some people in the past have said. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes it is real.  I taught about it in one of my senior courses.

We had a friend who was a doctor.  His brother, a psychiatrist, and wife had just had their third child.  The psy. came home one day and the worst imaginable had happened. She had taken their lives.  He didn't have a clue.  So very, very sad.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago a close friend and co- worker was severely depressed after having her first child She was just miserable, she couldn't eat and even though she came from a family of 8 children , she was completely at sea with her baby girl. It did pass and she did not have it with her second child. I felt so bad for her, because what should have been a happy time was miserable.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

We had a friend who was a doctor.  His brother, a psychiatrist, and wife had just had their third child.  The psy. came home one day and the worst imaginable had happened. She had taken their lives.  He didn't have a clue.  So very, very sad.

@ECBG, Do they know if it's due to what the body lost possibly during childbirth, or if it is more mental? I didn't have it, but when I see reports of women killing their children, I forget to think about this area, when I say, why? Can you shed some light?

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG, Do they know if it's due to what the body lost possibly during childbirth, or if it is more mental? I didn't have it, but when I see reports of women killing their children, I forget to think about this area, when I say, why? Can you shed some light?

@qualitygal,They think it's being overwhelmed on many fronts.  From the figure you used to have compared to now; relationships, even though they may be alright, now there is no where to turn. The house to take care of, other children, will your job still be there? Will you ever see light again? The brain with the hormone over load just zones out.  It seems that logical reasoning or coping skills, even on a minute level, don't exhist.

The only way to combat it is to educate before hand.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if it was postpardum depression that I had. I was fine after my firstborn but after my second born child I had an overwhelming longing of wanting still to be pregnant. I really missed not being pregnant! It lasted a few weeks with me then slowly went away.

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I had post partum depression after my first child was born in 1979. It wasnt as well recgonized and diagonosed back then. I thought I was just a horrible person. It was awful. I never considered hurting my child, in fact I was way overprotective of her, but I often thought of hurting myself. I finally started comming out of it when she was about 9 months old. I was afraid to have another child after that but when my second daughter was born 3 years later I did fine. I am so glad women are now getting the help an support they need if they are going through this.   

Respected Contributor

my best freind had PPD also in the late 70s when she  had her baby.  i think she wasnt prepared ....she was only 22 and it was the change in hormones? .   one day she was young and free and the next she had a tiny infant to care for.   she could not eat or sleep and cried a lot...th OB doc had her go see a psych nurse to talk about her feelings.  they didnt give any antidepressants or valium or anything.  not much was known then. much later on down the road my friend was dx with Major Depression

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG - I just assume it is hormonal - but because they didn't talk about it way back when, I really can't answer that question. 

Respected Contributor

Remember when Tom Cruise went on the Today Show with Matt Lauer and said post-partum depression wasn't real?  Of course, it would be a man that would make such an idiotic statement.  I forget which actress had just talked about having it and then he came on and said it wasn't real - was it Brooke Shields?