Honored Contributor

How wonderful for you!  Isnt it great to finally love yourself?  I went through your process at the ripe old age of 70, and 2 years later I added God to my life and now its even better.  Please be strong and keep your positive look on life!  Dont let the negatives get you down.  God bless

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

You've made some positive changes. How nice of that hostess to send you a note.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal....thanks for the suggestion but at 63, I am not ready for the senior center (at least not my local center)....I live in a small town, there is an active senior center but to be honest most are in their 70's and not a young 70...they seem to play cards a lot.....(my good friend that moved away was much older than me so my comment has nothing to do with age).

I have things I like to do on my own...refinishing, painting furniture, gardening, baking (which I a doing this morning) but it's my girl friends that I miss the most.

My mom could crochet....she made beautiful things and when I was a kid playing with barbie dolls, she made my barbie doll beautiful clothes....she could also sew, my dolls were well dressed!!  

Respected Contributor

Nice post!  I think I realized around the same age, I am 49 now the same thing.  Only person I can control is me and I am going to do it great.  I steer clear of negative people too.  Good luck on the trip to the cabin(s).  Nothing like the open road and good tunes to make you feel free and happy!

Trusted Contributor

I truly believe that age brings wisdom...with each year we get wiser and sometimes that "light bulb moment" kicks in!

I was always worrying about what other people thought of me and had some family relationships that were fractured.  It brought me down big time.  Then I finally realized as I got older that you can't change people...you need to accept them for who they are and get on with your life.  And you also realize, you don't need to change for anyone, and if you feel like you do then they are not the people you want around you. 

Life is too short...be happy   Sometimes it takes years to learn this and can past all the "stuff".  Sounds like you've realized this, and it's great!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Reinventing Yourself

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@qualitygal....thanks for the suggestion but at 63, I am not ready for the senior center (at least not my local center)....I live in a small town, there is an active senior center but to be honest most are in their 70's and not a young 70...they seem to play cards a lot.....(my good friend that moved away was much older than me so my comment has nothing to do with age).

I have things I like to do on my own...refinishing, painting furniture, gardening, baking (which I a doing this morning) but it's my girl friends that I miss the most.

My mom could crochet....she made beautiful things and when I was a kid playing with barbie dolls, she made my barbie doll beautiful clothes....she could also sew, my dolls were well dressed!!  

You sound like me.   God bless 'em but I have nothing in common with "seniors" yet, I'm 65.   Mostly they just do "busy work", things to occupy their time.   Usually eating!   Last thing I need to do right now.

I do the things you mention.   Gardening, refurbishing, knitting, baking,  plus enjoying my kids and grandkids.   Can't forget the cats.

I have a gift for you.   I found this on Pintrerest.   Some people are so clever!

drawer garden.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Julie928  This is so nice to read and I am so happy for you. Sounds like you are taking some real and positive steps to change your life.

Limiting your exposure to negative people will change your life because they suck the energy and lifeblood from you or anyone. There is always something to be grateful for.

Love the fact that you are coloring your hair and wearing a bit of makeup. The way you feel about yourself is SO important.

You keep at it...............I am excited for you. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Julie928

I am glad you discovered you new outlook on life at your younger age. Too many, in my opinion, let others control how they feel about life, THEIR(YOUR)life. 

I liked reading the story you've shared, and really want to suggest you to live every day using your "reinvented" way of looking at life. Optimism outweighs Pessimism by miles.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs, Just an FYI.  Our Senior Center, starts at age 50, should they care to join.

Honored Contributor

Julie92

It's nice to read an uplifting story of someone who sheds negativity in his or her life and makes positive changes.  I think you need to do these things when you are at your age rather than wait. I' m not saying change can't be accomplished at any age but it is always a bit easier when younger.  

Shedding who is negative in your life is a good step forward and recommended by many.  I am fortunate in having a supportive family and wonderful long term friends who are the positive in my life.  

Moving ahead on your own is to be admired, life is what you make it as they say and you are certainly following that principle.  The bottom line is happiness, security and peace of mind.  If you have accomplished this, you have done much to make your life what you want it to be.  

Good luck and be strong and a leader, you have taken charge of your life!!!!!