Super Contributor

Need 75th BD party suggestions.

I'm planning a 75th birthday party for dear hubby. There will be about 23 adults and 3 children in attendance. My question is regarding the cake. A quarter sheet cake feeds about 20 people a half sheet cake feeds about 40 people. One is too small and the other is too big. I was thinking maybe supplementing the cake with another dessert. Let's hear your suggestions.
Honored Contributor

Re: Need 75th BD party suggestions.

I would get the small cake and some non-sugar desserts and fruit cups. Something for everyone. Just be sure you have someone responsible (maybe not the right word) cutting the cake.

Respected Contributor

@seaswirl  I think you should have enough pieces of cake for everyone at the party, especially since it's a B-day party.  If you have extra, just send it home with some of the guests.

It could be embarrassing if everyone lines up for a piece of cake and there isn't enough. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

There is no such thing as too much cake. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I always go bigger. 

Depends on the folks attending, if it is a group that minds their food intake more or a group that loves their sweets, but I always offer a more healthy option (mixed fresh fruit) and get a bigger cake. I want to be sure everyone has what they need and what they want. Some in our crowd will go back for a second or third piece of cake, others will only eat the healthy.

Leftovers are always easy to send to others or share with neighbors after the event. Too little and people can feel disappointed, and make me feel like a less than perfect hostess. 

I always want enough food at any event that people aren't feeling awkward about helping themselves, and deal with the excess later.

Frequent Contributor

As someone who is 75, I know many people who are diabetic.  May I suggest having a angel food cake served with fresh strawberries and whipped cream along with the birthday cake.

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl if you like to bake, have a small cake and several cool weather desserts, and cookies always go over well.  I would have more than I need to make sure there is plenty for seconds....I freeze just about everything so to much is usually not an issue for me.  Have fun!!

Honored Contributor

I agree with the others - get the half-sheet.  Then you don't have to worry about something else.

Respected Contributor

I like your idea of having one smaller cake, then another additional choice for dessert.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

You should have enough cake for everyone.You can always give away the leftovers or freeze it.