Honored Contributor

Received Someone Else's Amazon Pkg

Today I received 2 packages from Amazon.  While I am expecting some stuff from them, I'm not expecting it this soon.  I checked to see if, by chance, they were for my husband.  Nope.  Had my address but somebody else's name on it.  

Have you ever tried to get help on Amazon especially for a situation like this?  You can get all kinds of help on your orders, but even chat is set up for your orders.  No way to chat about someone else's order.  I finally Googled it and got a phone number that I couldn't find anywhere on the site.  Even then, the automated voice wanted my info, but it did let me through to talk to a real person.  After explaining the situation and giving her the tracking numbers, one of which she couldn't find, she told me I could either just keep the items or donate them.  

Meanwhile, I went on our Nextodoor group and asked if anybody knew this person on the off chance it was reailly destined for my area.  A few minutes later, someone gave me her address.  It was one digit (the middle one) different from mine.  She indicated that her brother probably sent them to her for her birthday.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Received Someone Else's Amazon Pkg

I admire your ethics in pursuing this so diligently to find the rightful owner. You are a very upright person. I enjoyed reading your post.

Respected Contributor

You are able to live chat with amazon about any problems. You go to help then need more help then contact us and live chat pops up.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 I tried that.  I stated my problem, then my latest order showed up and there was no way to go any farther than choosing one of my orders.

Esteemed Contributor

It seems to me the brother entered the right name but the wrong address when he placed the order so Amazon delivered correctly.  Fortunately you were able to get the package to the right person. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Today I received 2 packages from Amazon.  While I am expecting some stuff from them, I'm not expecting it this soon.  I checked to see if, by chance, they were for my husband.  Nope.  Had my address but somebody else's name on it.  

Have you ever tried to get help on Amazon especially for a situation like this?  You can get all kinds of help on your orders, but even chat is set up for your orders.  No way to chat about someone else's order.  I finally Googled it and got a phone number that I couldn't find anywhere on the site.  Even then, the automated voice wanted my info, but it did let me through to talk to a real person.  After explaining the situation and giving her the tracking numbers, one of which she couldn't find, she told me I could either just keep the items or donate them.  

Meanwhile, I went on our Nextodoor group and asked if anybody knew this person on the off chance it was reailly destined for my area.  A few minutes later, someone gave me her address.  It was one digit (the middle one) different from mine.  She indicated that her brother probably sent them to her for her birthday.  

@Icegoddess  I like that. Where I live we have a FB Page and the people are so very helpful.  

Glad you were able to find the person, even though Amazon would have sent out another package if the brother notified them and gave them the correct address.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I've received many packages that didn't belong to me, but rather they belonged to my neighbor with similar house numbers (I knew her).  When I couldn't reach her I would simply call the delivery people and tell them and let them handle it.  Granted, my name was never on the packages and they were clearly marked for my neighbor, you could still try this.  Tell the delivery company that the package isn't yours.  Don't know if it will help.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Oh good! She got her present! Good job!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

It seems to me the brother entered the right name but the wrong address when he placed the order so Amazon delivered correctly.  Fortunately you were able to get the package to the right person. 

@mspatmac 

Everything goes to the address not the name.  It may be because names aren't displayed on boxes.

We have had an issue with deliveries for decades from different vendors. 

My address is only different from my neighbors by "Ct., Rd., Blvd., Circle" -the ending of the street address, but our house numbers are identical.

I know when he brings me a package with my totally correct address, the person didn't read the address completely!

Our names aren't the least bit similar.

We swap packages all of the time.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

The same thing happened to me when I had my account with them but it had MY name and my neighbor's address.  I cancelled my account with them and it never happened again.  I think it's phishing.