Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

If everyone would just do their part to slow the spread, then all activites could resume with minimal risks. But for what ever reasons, many, many do not wear masks or keep distances, do not self quarantine when ill. 

My 65 yo friend refuses to wear a mask. She has a chronic cough.

She was so upset when people in the grocery "gave her a dirty look" when she coughed. She said to them "I smoke. That is why I cough. I don't have covid." 

So we could be in phase x, y or z and if people refuse to be personally responsible, I guess we are at the mercy of the virus. 

@granddi  I get angry seeing unmasked people, but also with store keepers who have signs outside requiring a mask, but then do nothing to enforce it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus - We rarely see anyone with a mask or even social distancing. There were crowds here the weekend before Memorial Day weekend - no social distancing at all and 2 shootings.

Memorial Weekend a nightmare - people everywhere. Some were asked why they came - their answer - because they still couldn't go anywhere in their own state. Two shootings.

I'm guessing this is how it will be until October. As my hubby has heart disease, we really aren't going anywhere. 

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Shanus - We rarely see anyone with a mask or even social distancing. There were crowds here the weekend before Memorial Day weekend - no social distancing at all and 2 shootings.

Memorial Weekend a nightmare - people everywhere. Some were asked why they came - their answer - because they still couldn't go anywhere in their own state. Two shootings.

I'm guessing this is how it will be until October. As my hubby has heart disease, we really aren't going anywhere. 

@riley1   We all may have been headed in a forward direction before protesting in all big cities...many not from that area, but traveled from other cities. When they went home, of course the chance of Covid spreading is higher. I'm waiting the 14 days to see the number of cases spike.

Although I understand and sympathize with the message, it was irresponsible to not wear masks or practice social distancing. Unfortunately, the masks don't protect the one who's wearing it. The mask protects others in case the person has or will get Covid and no symptoms yet. 

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda , we don't much else. These all the information that we are given right now. So today since we are in the green phase as it's called, most everything is opening. No groups of more than 250 can meet. So that means if you place of worship has larger congregation of 250, then not everyone will be admitted. Concerts can be held with less than 250 people. Our dear governor whom I am not fond of at all has not given us much information. He seems to talk out of both sides of his well you know where. Lol! He says one thing and then he personally does something else. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut 

Yes, phases mean nothing now, same with restrictions (for some), social distancing (for some), and mask requirements (for some).

The latest example of why, is the open letter (to no one, in particular) signed by 1200+ experts "medical professionals," stating that mass protests should be allowed to continue in violation of recent state/local mandates because [certain things] are more dangerous than COVID.

There you have it. There's the now-confirmed non-medical agenda, and we'd already noticed the selective enforcement of mandates. So, for all intents and purposes, there are no more mandates. People are social distancing only if they want to, and the same with wearing masks. Stores weren't ejecting shoppers even before it became clear that the mandate evidently did not apply to everyone.

New York is a big, diverse state, of which NYC is a small part. Big retailers are following "phase" opening requirements, but many small businesses are not. Some barber shops and some salons quietly reopened. Restaurants had outdoor seating weeks ago. And they had customers.

An increasing number here are not wearing masks, either (though I don't know whether they've doffed them in response to recent events, or never wore them at all. I'm just personally encountering more). Two days ago, a young man ahead of us, noticeably maskless, headed straight for the prepared pizza at Wegmans. Two feet away from food, and no one cared.

The best thing about this is that everyone's free to remain under house arrest and masked--if they so choose. As I said long ago, the people would ultimately be the ones to decide when restrictions on them ended. And it appears that they have.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

My friend just got hers cut.She had to sit outside and there was no shampoo just a cut.I think that is about as safe as it gets right now.She wore a mask as did the stylist.

Respected Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

@hckynut 

Yes, phases mean nothing now, same with restrictions (for some), social distancing (for some), and mask requirements (for some).

The latest example of why, is the open letter (to no one, in particular) signed by 1200+ experts "medical professionals," stating that mass protests should be allowed to continue in violation of recent state/local mandates because [certain things] are more dangerous than COVID.

There you have it. There's the now-confirmed non-medical agenda, and we'd already noticed the selective enforcement of mandates. So, for all intents and purposes, there are no more mandates. People are social distancing only if they want to, and the same with wearing masks. Stores weren't ejecting shoppers even before it became clear that the mandate evidently did not apply to everyone.

New York is a big, diverse state, of which NYC is a small part. Big retailers are following "phase" opening requirements, but many small businesses are not. Some barber shops and some salons quietly reopened. Restaurants had outdoor seating weeks ago. And they had customers.

An increasing number here are not wearing masks, either (though I don't know whether they've doffed them in response to recent events, or never wore them at all. I'm just personally encountering more). Two days ago, a young man ahead of us, noticeably maskless, headed straight for the prepared pizza at Wegmans. Two feet away from food, and no one cared.

The best thing about this is that everyone's free to remain under house arrest and masked--if they so choose. As I said long ago, the people would ultimately be the ones to decide when restrictions on them ended. And it appears that they have.

Just a week ago on this forum people were saying those who didn't wear masks should not be allowed ventilators if they got the virus. It amazes me how things change so fast. If masks were all we needed why did we shut everything down? I thought staying home was the be all end all in protection. I don't trust or care what any expert says anymore. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Just because everything opens does not make it safe. 

@SeaMaiden  Very true. And very scary. 

Everything is reopening because people got tired of staying home. Not because it is safe to go back to normal.

The virus probably isn’t “coming back” in the fall because it is most likely still going to be here because people don’t think they need to make any effort.

The virus is not going away.

The flu season will arrive while Covid-19 is here. Each year they develop a flu shot to counter act what type of flu will be around. How they are going to develop a flu shot this year for the type of flu that will be predicted has many wondering and how successful it will be. Symptoms for both are alike.

People have to live with the conditions they are facing, and face the fact the pandemic is staying. You can only do so much. Life will resume in one way or another.

@chiclets  COVID-19 is not a flu. And no one should hope we get a COVID-19 vaccine that works as poorly as the flu ones do. They literally just guess at what strains might be active in the next season.

But, it does not appear to be going away and “experts” are now saying they don’t think it is going anywhere so “they” really should stop saying it might or might not come back.

People here really didn’t change what they were doing much at any time. Never saw many masks or much social distancing and any stores open were crowded. The ones that were closed at open now and crowded. People here are not making much, if any effort to avoid COVID-19 or any other illness.