Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Check with your church - high school - or senior citizen group to see if there are couple of high school aged guys who would like to make a few bucks.

Stay OUT OF PARKING LOTS

@fthunt To me this would be a big no.  I would go with a bonded and insured moving company.  We have used Little Guys with great success.  The price wasn't bad and they have always done a good job.  Plus liability is on Little Guys not us. 

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Lucky Charm   You bring up interesting perspectives.  I understand what everyone is saying....the companies we have called are not interested in small jobs.  Don't want to hire local neighborhood help for fear they might hurt themselves.  I did look up College Movers and Meathead Movers after reading the comments here.  I'll try giving them a call tomorrow.  Thanks everyone and @Lucky Charm  for your comments.

Try two men and a truck. We have hired them for hourly jobs. They seem to be everywhere now.

Honored Contributor

Please don't hire men from the parking lot.  We don't want to hear about aka phoenixbrd in the news.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr   Thank youHeart

@ValuSkr wrote:

Please don't hire men from the parking lot.  We don't want to hear about aka phoenixbrd in the news.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: RE: Help with moving

[ Edited ]

@Sooner @MG Chris   Thank you for your recommendations....I'll check them out!

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

Oh my gosh, don't do that.

You need someone who is bonded and insured not someone off the street.  

If you hire someone off the street, you are accepting the responsibility if they hurt and above all, your belongings are not insured

I hired a local moving company for one day and that worked out well.  You want to hire someone "close" to you and find out specifically where they start to bill you from.  Also, are you paying for the mileage back to the company too.   

Also, watch them and don't assume they are always working.  Hate to say it but the first time I hired someone, I had to get them to move.  They were standing around waiting for direction, I didn't know I needed to be the foreman of the job.

Get the rates up front.  Also, some of these people have a minimum hours.  Also find out what happens if you go over the estimated time (just in case).  The more questions ou ask, the less problems you'll have overall.  Also, write down your questions on a sheet of paper for future reference.   Best time to move is not the last 10 days of the month or the first 10 days of the month but I'm sure they will clarify that.

Don't be afraid to call a cross country moving company that may be local in your area.  They may have an opening for you.

I originally called 3 movers and that will give you an overall cost.

Respected Contributor

I've been seeing advertisements for what looks like a new company called 'Dolly'.  It appears to be just what you are looking for.  2 Men and a dolly.  They do small moving jobs.  They work for the company so are vetted and I assume bonded.  You might check them out by just googling "Dolly" and see if they are in your area.  Good luck and yes, stay out of the parking lot hiring.  

Trusted Contributor

TaskRabbit.com

thumbtack.com

Esteemed Contributor

Call your local furniture store. Their delivery guys would probably do it for  few bucks after hours...

Respected Contributor

All I can say are your kidding me.