Honored Contributor

We need to move furniture and boxes in our home.  I am considering hiring a couple of guys who are in the Home Depot parking lot to assist with the moving.  Have you ever done this.  Do you have any suggestions for what I should pay?  

Thank you for any feedback. 

Respected Contributor

' A couple of guys in H D parking lot' ????? That would be a no.

Many problems going that route mainly Not Safe! 

You don't know who they are.

Honored Contributor

I would google the pay in the area.  My guess would be $15.00-18.00 an hour.

Trusted Contributor

Re: RE: Help with moving

[ Edited ]

I would not do this. It just isn't safe. They could rob or hurt you. They could steal, get injured and sue. Any number of scenarios. My mom uses College hunks for quick jobs like this. She once wanted to move her couch down six inches in the other direction and it is a big ole heavy couch. I would check locally for rent a hubby or some other service that does these things.

Esteemed Contributor

No no hire a moving company with reputable references. Our neighbor did that and they stole her jewelry and some clothes. 

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

We need to move furniture and boxes in our home.  I am considering hiring a couple of guys who are in the Home Depot parking lot to assist with the moving.  Have you ever done this.  Do you have any suggestions for what I should pay?  

Thank you for any feedback. 

Look at local moving companies. They have not so busy times between big moves and will send a couple of guys out to help at a very reasonable price. U-Haul has a list of movers on their site who will unload trucks as well. These companies should provide insurance for their crews. Ask about that when you speak to them. Liability is a issue hiring people off the street, and the risk is too great no matter how much you might save.

Esteemed Contributor

Check with your church - high school - or senior citizen group to see if there are couple of high school aged guys who would like to make a few bucks.

Stay OUT OF PARKING LOTS

Honored Contributor

Those "workers" in parking lots do not have any 

I D E N T I F I C A T I O N

OR

R E F E R E N C E S

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

You can fill any service with Angie's List.  They have been researched and have references. 

Gone are the days of "Do you know someone good who........."!

Honored Contributor

Re: RE: Help with moving

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd What happens if one of them gets hurt while working for you? You'll get sued most likely. And if they accidentally damage anything, there's no insurance.

Think about it. And you really want to hire total strangers to interact with you in your home?

I would feel safer doing what we always did. We hired Bekins for 2 moves and it was perfect.

And on our local nextdoor there are a few small local companies with excellent reputations.