Trusted Contributor

I had someone do this to me at Walmart one day.  I was dressed for the gym - workout clothes and no make up.  The guy followed me around the store and came up to me in the parking lot.

He said he liked my look and noticed I wasn't wearing a wedding ring (I don't wear it to the gym).  So if I wasn't spoken for he would be interested in getting to know me.

This guy was probably 30 years older than me, I was freaked out by it because I hadnoticed him everywhere I went in the store.  I didn't go into Walmart for months after.

Respected Contributor

I saw this posted on Instagram...A group of people is called a No Thanks & all the replies were Yes that's me, I want to stay home & be alone! Wonder why you're being approached out & about, that's why...it's difficult meeting someone if you don't go to bars, do online dating or casual hookups. The recommended way to meet someone face to face is in the grocery store.

Honored Contributor

They don't "flirt" with me.........they just ask for MONEY

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Question....Men...

[ Edited ]

Maybe you look approachable/easy to meet & give off a vibe. Doesn't happen to me.  

Valued Contributor

I definitely don't give off that approachable vibe ~ I always have my earbuds in so I don't have to pay too much attention to all the other noise. 

Honored Contributor

I have been off market for over 40 years....heck I do not think I am giving off any vibe of needing a man.  Last thing I am looking for at my age😄  I just find it a bit unnerving is all.

Honored Contributor

You never heard of picking women up?   Older guy often aren't as smooth with their pick up lines, they fall back on  "my goodness, you are beautiful" or something similar.  No, I don't get that in grocery stores or the dry cleaners.  It's funny,  I always wear my wedding set but in social situations where there are "older" men, I get it also there are two retirment communities in my area and those gentleman do their Lothario thing in social situations.  I'm 57 and the guys who hit on me are always 70ish.  It's not that we women appear to be out there looking for men,  it's just the men are out there looking for women and they are rusty at it.  I just wave my hand and say "you are so kind, but married!" and I move on.   I think meeting people is particularly challenging for older people.  

Honored Contributor

I used to always tease my late Mom that she got hit on more than I ever did. One time we went to a movie and this guy around her age walked right up to the car window as soon as she parked and started talking about how he goes to the special opera showings they had there and asking her if she ever went.

Another time we were outside her dr's building after an appointment. This older guy had a Jeep Wrangler, my Mom had three Jeeps in her life and loved them. She told this guy she liked his Jeep and he said maybe I could take you for a ride sometime lol

My Mom was very pretty but she also had this aura of being a kind friendly person. Because she was.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Men come up to me when I am out shopping.... just at Fred Meyer or even the dollar store... tell me how attractive I am.... and ask if I am married.....

I am not dressed to pick anyone up... just shopping.. married for 40 years.... They are men my age.... ;60 plus.    

Is this something older men do to any of you?  It does not bother me... I am just polite and thank them for the complement... and move on. It happened yesterday again. Nice gentleman.... but JUST WHY?

Why do they think it is OK?    I find it a bit creepy.

If you are very attractive, that’s why they are hitting on you. Be thankful to be pretty at any age.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Men come up to me when I am out shopping.... just at Fred Meyer or even the dollar store... tell me how attractive I am.... and ask if I am married.....

I am not dressed to pick anyone up... just shopping.. married for 40 years.... They are men my age.... ;60 plus.    

Is this something older men do to any of you?  It does not bother me... I am just polite and thank them for the complement... and move on. It happened yesterday again. Nice gentleman.... but JUST WHY?

Why do they think it is OK?    I find it a bit creepy.

Are you making eye contact with them?  That would do it.