Trusted Contributor

@qbetzforrealwrote:

He's a guy and most guy's don't do feelings.  His response was pretty much a male type of response.  Plus you're texting, not always the best way to communicate.  Text messages are short and to the point.  If you want a more meaningful converation, call him.  I also don't get the reference to affluence. 

I don't see how the OP got in trouble.

Emily Giffin — 'A son is a son 'til he gets a wife, but a daughter is a daughter all her life.

@qbetzforreal I am assuming that since she said he hardly ever contacts her since her husband’s passing, she is implying that might be due to his affluent lifestyle. An affluent
lifestyle is synonymous with being very busy and socially active.

Honored Contributor

You might want to start a family fued over this @Ketra  but I sure wouldn't

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate

Esteemed Contributor

@Ketrawrote:

@Snowpuppywrote:

I'm not certain what the OP's comment about her child being "quite affluent" has to do with how much he cares.

I do tell the truth to DS. 

@Snowpuppy  I am assuming that since she said he hardly ever contacts her since her husband’s passing, she is implying that might be due to his affluent lifestyle. An affluent

lifestyle is synonymous with being very busy and socially active.  

@Snowpuppy- I agree with you. The affluent description makes me think that because he's got money, he's not dependent on his mom and therefore he has no reason to be nice. Just a thought.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@Calcgirlwrote:

Hmm, the truth got me in trouble.   Let me begin my sharing that my son who lives 45 minutes away and is quite affluent seldom calls and texts me two-three times a month. We were always very close until my husband, his dad passed away and he got married to a rather selfis woman.  I have nver ever shared this thought with either of them by the way and have aways treated her warmly.  His texts always ask how I am doing and my response is fine how are you and the family doing? 

Well, the last text came right after I returned from the Orthopedic doctor who said I had fluid on my knee and issues with my shoulder and he was sending me in for an MRI,  So I told my son what the doctor said and said that the golden years should called the rusty years and placed an LOL after the response.  He texted back that I shouldn't feel sorry for myself.  By the way I am in my late 60's. 

@Calcgirl maybe your son thought he was making a joke (a bad one clearly). Have you spoken to him since?  I hope you did tell him that he was harsh, and hurt your feelings, whether his intent or not.  I don't think his being "affluent" has to do with hurting your feelings. 

(And I'd never even think about "cutting someone out of my will" for an offhand text. That is punitive and small.)

Honored Contributor

@Ketrawrote:

@cherrywrote:

What happend to turning the other cheek?????Woman Sad

@cherry What happened to giving your mother basic respect?????? The son rarely contacts his mother. When she shares with him what the doctor said he’s says that?

She has every reason to confront him about his text.

Oh?? With success our children who are affluent cannot always fill our emotional needs. They are busy making a living. 

Expecting a lot of calls and hand holding is an unrealistic expectation of our children. Let them live their lives in peace. 

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

@Ketrawrote:

@cherrywrote:

@cherry What happened to giving your mother basic respect?????? The son rarely contacts his mother. When she shares with him what the doctor said he’s says that?

Oh?? With success our children who are affluent cannot always fill our emotional needs. They are busy making a living. 

Expecting a lot of calls and hand holding is an unrealistic expectation of our children. Let them live their lives in peace. 

@Trinity11 The OP stated that her son rarely contacts her since her husband’s death.  I am guessing, just guessing here, that he is very socially active and busy, as that is synonymous with an affluent lifestyle. Possibly one of the reasons he doesn’t contact his mother very often?

Honored Contributor

@Ketrawrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Ketrawrote:

@cherrywrote:

@Trinity11 The OP stated that her son rarely contacts her since her husband’s death.  I am guessing, just guessing here, that he is very socially active and busy, as that is synonymous with an affluent lifestyle. Possibly one of the reasons he doesn’t contact his mother very often?

Yes @Ketra. I have a son who works very long hours and travels a lot....he is very affluent from the fruits of his labor. Any holiday, he is there but the every day stuff I don't burden him with. I had 2 heart attacks within a year's time. I tried to never burden him with any of it. I know he cares and I don't need frequent calls to prove it to myself.

Honored Contributor

calcgirl: You are feeling sorry for yourself. Why do you feel you have to give a medical update?

When our kids ask how we are doing we say ok.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

And what do you mean by afluent?

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.