Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,806
Registered: ‎06-27-2010

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS


@NickNack wrote:

Thank you for posting the definitions of service dogs, therapy dogs and emotional support dogs @dooBdoo .  My dog definitely provides emotional support for me.  I don't know what I would do without her or my cat.  I would never try to claim her as an emotional support dog though.  

 

I think for most people who consider their dogs part of their family they provide emotional support for them.  Maybe I'm wrong, but as someone who lives alone I need the love and support of my pets.

 


 

            You're welcome, @NickNack.    I agree that in the vast majority of homes our cats, dogs, and other pets provide significant emotional support.    Living alone since my beloved husband passed away, I'm so grateful for my little cat...  grateful for having "another heartbeat" nearby.    Such an incredibly powerful source of comfort, sometimes humor and silliness, and truly an extension of our hearts.❤️

 

⭐️Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy. Howard W. Newton⭐️
Super Contributor
Posts: 489
Registered: ‎06-19-2010

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS

I recall that you were upset when your daughter moved out and rented an apartment for $1300+utilities. You wanted her to stay and save up to buy something.  It's nice that in less than a year, she was still able to save up enough for a down payment on a condo. Maybe you can board her dog somewhere in the interim while she gets this resolved.  Do you have a place that you use for your dogs during your trips to Santorini, Budapest. Vienna, Australia etc.?

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,747
Registered: ‎11-21-2011

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS

Maybe she could just take the dog to work so it's always in her control? I assume she needs the support all the time right?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 49,705
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS


@kaydee50 wrote:

@shaggygirl  Agree with you 100%.  And I'm seeing "emotional support" dogs more and more on airplanes and airport terminals.  I feel sorry for the animals.  


@kaydee50.  How would you like to sit next to a pooping "emotional support" turkey on an airplane?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,151
Registered: ‎04-16-2010

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS


@qvc chick wrote:

A couple of eldery women complained.

 

The dog walker was walking him, and he pulled on the leash, and they became afraid.  Never bit anyone.  Never growled.  But these two old biddies complained because he is a large dog.

 

Ugh - its not like a  piece of furniture that you can give away.

 

My daughter has been crying.  We don't know what to do


Shame on those "two old biddies" for being afraid of a large dog that appeared aggressive to them. Geeze, your attitude isn't going to help you or your daughter.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,350
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS


@shaggygirl wrote:

I don't really get this relatively new category (to me anyway) of emotional support animals. What does that mean? That you feel lonely when no one is around so an animal takes the place of human companionship......or what?

 

I'm guessing some people use it as a way around their pet not being allowed, be it in your condo, the bus, the train, a plane, wherever.


There are some people and circumstances who need these emotional support animals.  Many returning military people suffering from PTSD, those who have suffered through a tramatic event, some with emotional disorders etc.  They use their animals responsibility and are courtious to those around them.  They do not take advantage of their status, just try and make it through the day.

 

Unfortunitaly way to many people have decided to jump on that bandwagon to bring their unrully pets where ever they go. Online companies will providse you a doctors note for a fee. These are the ones who are ruining the program for those who actually need their emotional support animals.  Have no sympathy for them when they get caught.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,460
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS


@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I don't really get this relatively new category (to me anyway) of emotional support animals. What does that mean? That you feel lonely when no one is around so an animal takes the place of human companionship......or what?

 

I'm guessing some people use it as a way around their pet not being allowed, be it in your condo, the bus, the train, a plane, wherever.


There are some people and circumstances who need these emotional support animals.  Many returning military people suffering from PTSD, those who have suffered through a tramatic event, some with emotional disorders etc.  They use their animals responsibility and are courtious to those around them.  They do not take advantage of their status, just try and make it through the day.

 

Unfortunitaly way to many people have decided to jump on that bandwagon to bring their unrully pets where ever they go. Online companies will providse you a doctors note for a fee. These are the ones who are ruining the program for those who actually need their emotional support animals.  Have no sympathy for them when they get caught.


 

 

@CrazyDaisy   @shaggygirl   People with PTSD and emotional disorders can get a Service Dog as @dooBdoo wrote about.  That's completely different than an emotional support animal and is accepted everywhere.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,350
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS


@NickNack wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I don't really get this relatively new category (to me anyway) of emotional support animals. What does that mean? That you feel lonely when no one is around so an animal takes the place of human companionship......or what?

 

I'm guessing some people use it as a way around their pet not being allowed, be it in your condo, the bus, the train, a plane, wherever.


There are some people and circumstances who need these emotional support animals.  Many returning military people suffering from PTSD, those who have suffered through a tramatic event, some with emotional disorders etc.  They use their animals responsibility and are courtious to those around them.  They do not take advantage of their status, just try and make it through the day.

 

Unfortunitaly way to many people have decided to jump on that bandwagon to bring their unrully pets where ever they go. Online companies will providse you a doctors note for a fee. These are the ones who are ruining the program for those who actually need their emotional support animals.  Have no sympathy for them when they get caught.


 

 

@CrazyDaisy   @shaggygirl   People with PTSD and emotional disorders can get a Service Dog as @dooBdoo wrote about.  That's completely different than an emotional support animal and is accepted everywhere.


No, service animals are trained to preform a specific task and for a specific person.  They are highly trained to meet an individual persons needs. These individuals are considered disabled in some way and require help from these animals. 

 

Emotional support animals do not have that requirement nor are the individuals considered disabled.  Most may just need a little help at certain times of emotional distress.  A service person suffering nightmares, a young child who witnessed a violent crime are all examples of those who need these animals.  They are not disabled nor eligable for a service dog.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,460
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS


@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I don't really get this relatively new category (to me anyway) of emotional support animals. What does that mean? That you feel lonely when no one is around so an animal takes the place of human companionship......or what?

 

I'm guessing some people use it as a way around their pet not being allowed, be it in your condo, the bus, the train, a plane, wherever.


There are some people and circumstances who need these emotional support animals.  Many returning military people suffering from PTSD, those who have suffered through a tramatic event, some with emotional disorders etc.  They use their animals responsibility and are courtious to those around them.  They do not take advantage of their status, just try and make it through the day.

 

Unfortunitaly way to many people have decided to jump on that bandwagon to bring their unrully pets where ever they go. Online companies will providse you a doctors note for a fee. These are the ones who are ruining the program for those who actually need their emotional support animals.  Have no sympathy for them when they get caught.


 

 

@CrazyDaisy   @shaggygirl   People with PTSD and emotional disorders can get a Service Dog as @dooBdoo wrote about.  That's completely different than an emotional support animal and is accepted everywhere.


No, service animals are trained to preform a specific task and for a specific person.  They are highly trained to meet an individual persons needs. These individuals are considered disabled in some way and require help from these animals. 

 

Emotional support animals do not have that requirement nor are the individuals considered disabled.  Most may just need a little help at certain times of emotional distress.  A service person suffering nightmares, a young child who witnessed a violent crime are all examples of those who need these animals.  They are not disabled nor eligable for a service dog.


 

 

@CrazyDaisy   Go to message 37 and read what @dooBdoo posted.  

 

"...II. Service Animal Defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA

 

A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. 

 

Tasks performed can include, among other things, pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, alerting a person to a sound, reminding a person to take medication, or pressing an elevator button.

 

Here is another quote.  PTSD is considered a disability.

 

The ADA goes on to provide examples of tasks that a service dog can perform, including “calming a person with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack.” And yet, service dogs for people with PTSD are often mislabeled as “emotional support animals” (ESAs), which are not covered by the ADA.Mar 18, 2019

 


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,350
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS


@NickNack wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I don't really get this relatively new category (to me anyway) of emotional support animals. What does that mean? That you feel lonely when no one is around so an animal takes the place of human companionship......or what?

 

I'm guessing some people use it as a way around their pet not being allowed, be it in your condo, the bus, the train, a plane, wherever.


There are some people and circumstances who need these emotional support animals.  Many returning military people suffering from PTSD, those who have suffered through a tramatic event, some with emotional disorders etc.  They use their animals responsibility and are courtious to those around them.  They do not take advantage of their status, just try and make it through the day.

 

Unfortunitaly way to many people have decided to jump on that bandwagon to bring their unrully pets where ever they go. Online companies will providse you a doctors note for a fee. These are the ones who are ruining the program for those who actually need their emotional support animals.  Have no sympathy for them when they get caught.


 

 

@CrazyDaisy   @shaggygirl   People with PTSD and emotional disorders can get a Service Dog as @dooBdoo wrote about.  That's completely different than an emotional support animal and is accepted everywhere.


No, service animals are trained to preform a specific task and for a specific person.  They are highly trained to meet an individual persons needs. These individuals are considered disabled in some way and require help from these animals. 

 

Emotional support animals do not have that requirement nor are the individuals considered disabled.  Most may just need a little help at certain times of emotional distress.  A service person suffering nightmares, a young child who witnessed a violent crime are all examples of those who need these animals.  They are not disabled nor eligable for a service dog.


 

 

@CrazyDaisy   Go to message 37 and read what @dooBdoo posted.  

 

"...II. Service Animal Defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA

 

A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. 

 

Tasks performed can include, among other things, pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, alerting a person to a sound, reminding a person to take medication, or pressing an elevator button.

 

Here is another quote.  PTSD is considered a disability.

 

The ADA goes on to provide examples of tasks that a service dog can perform, including “calming a person with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack.” And yet, service dogs for people with PTSD are often mislabeled as “emotional support animals” (ESAs), which are not covered by the ADA.Mar 18, 2019

 


Once again not ALL are serious enough to be considered disabled and require a service dog.  Why are you trying to denying the others help and comfort?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.