Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick    If your daughter's dog is anything like the trained dogs brought into hospitals, I cannot understand what the complaint could be.  The dogs are trained to passive and obedient and would not hurt a fly.  The condo Asso. needs to let you know what the complaint is.  Three days is not enough notice by law.  If the dog was allowed, they cannot ask to remove it without just cause.  What is the worse thing the dog could do?  Leave stool in the grass?  Some people are so jealous or just plain mean. I hope everything works out for you,  CALL A LAWYER and then sue for legal fees.Cat Mad

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Hopefully, your daughter has something in writing from the board that it's okay to have the dog.  Hopefully, she also has written confirmation from a medical professional that the dog is her emotional support dog.  Then you need to get a lawyer.

I live in a co-op and our board instituted new rules for dogs.  They have to be below a certain weight for example.  Just to give you a little perspective I am a dog owner and love dogs but recently I have seen a new massive pit bull mix in my building that I know is not permitted. according to our new rules  My dog is afraid of this other dog as am I.  Other residents have also voiced their concern.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 @It actually was only a small bite but she developed an infection that turned her bodyskin black as it died.

Honored Contributor

@@Warrior2022 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

I love all dogs and support people having emotional support dogs when needed. BUT f you do need one it should be trained as well as a service animal. So if it's out for a walk it shouldn't be trying to wander or lunge at anyone. In this case I"m sure it was more of a wander but if these ladies don't like that the dog is there they likely are over playing it.

You can't just declare your dog and emotional support animal. I'm sure you can go for training for this purpose and at least get some certification for it which would help in certain circumstances.

And I hope your daughter was smart enough to get this agreement in writing.

Service animals are very expensive to train and there is really no need for anything that extensive.  I do believe that emotional support animals should be trained for manners and to behave in the environment they will be used.  Certification should be required if the public is going to extend them privilages.  That alone will eliminate all those who just want to take their pet along.

Yes. service dogs are very expensive to train.  I agree that ESA's should have training as well and at the very least pass a CGC test.  Another sad part is that a lot of people that claim to need a ESA are on disability and can't afford proper vet care.  I personally know someone that has a ESA and the poor dog has never even been to a vet!

@Warrior2022 

Wern’t you working to train one of your dogs as a therapy / support dog?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@@Warrior2022 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

I love all dogs and support people having emotional support dogs when needed. BUT f you do need one it should be trained as well as a service animal. So if it's out for a walk it shouldn't be trying to wander or lunge at anyone. In this case I"m sure it was more of a wander but if these ladies don't like that the dog is there they likely are over playing it.

You can't just declare your dog and emotional support animal. I'm sure you can go for training for this purpose and at least get some certification for it which would help in certain circumstances.

And I hope your daughter was smart enough to get this agreement in writing.

Service animals are very expensive to train and there is really no need for anything that extensive.  I do believe that emotional support animals should be trained for manners and to behave in the environment they will be used.  Certification should be required if the public is going to extend them privilages.  That alone will eliminate all those who just want to take their pet along.

Yes. service dogs are very expensive to train.  I agree that ESA's should have training as well and at the very least pass a CGC test.  Another sad part is that a lot of people that claim to need a ESA are on disability and can't afford proper vet care.  I personally know someone that has a ESA and the poor dog has never even been to a vet!

@Warrior2022 

Wern’t you working to train one of your dogs as a therapy / support dog?

Yes, a Therpay dog, that is not the same as a emotinal support dog.

Trusted Contributor

I live in a condominium complex.  We are allowed two animals per unit; there is no weight restriction, but reptiles are not allowed and one is not allowed to have an animal breeding business on site.  People have been known to abuse the support animal privilege.  It is a very fine line to walk when living in such a place.  Get a lawyer who understands the law of this type of living - not just a "regular" lawyer - as well as a case consultant who is familiar with support regulations/law.

Respected Contributor

I have not read all the replies so this may very well have been resolved.

Emotional Support Dogs do not have the same rules that Service Dogs to. They are not ADA protected.

Respected Contributor

Am I missing an update/reply to all the help/assistance she was given?

I see questions being asked about the board's approval etc. I think I scrolled thru all the replies but could of very well missed it in my hurry.

Has she been back to update anybody? The time was up this past weekend - was wondering how they made out. I do not know the back story to the daughter and how old etc..she said she has been doing nothing but crying. Which unfortunately is not the answer to this situation.\

Update...follow-up...the board gave the approval..who on the board..when..in writing..witnesses?

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Support and emotional support animals that are legitimate and thus well trained serve vital services and I highly support. Unfortunately a few selfish individuals have taken advantage of the things that these animals are allowed to do and go. For that all are inconvenienced.
I was at a thrift store today where a woman had her support dog in her cart where children sit. Someone walked by as she was at checkout and started barking pretty viciously. The manager was nearby and i heard him say that was no trained support dog.
How can retailers, airlines, etc be expected to verify in this world of illegal documents?
Sad state.
Respected Contributor

If your daughter's dog lunged at the women then that shows the dog was never trained and that is on your daughter, All he is is a pet. All dogs are esd in some fashion. You could try the lawyer route. It may help. But I doubt this was the first complaint about the dog. One and done, nah, more to the story imo.