Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOGS

@PattyinFL wrote:

You must have papers from where ever you received your emotional support dog info...  Mine says you also need a very short letter from doctor, on his stationary stating that she needs this dog for her emtional support....   Trust me, this will do the trick...   No lawyer needed.   They won't go against a doctors letter but you may have to submit one everyyear but well worth the trouble...

Do NOT give up....    I live in senior park where dogs must me 20lbs or less...  Well, Maggie got fat and muscular and weighs in at 50....   We have plenty of bigger dogs in the park who are huge and also Maggie's size and even thought some b-t--y complain, it's too bad....   CALL YOUR dr NOW!!   ;}

Your dog gained 30 lbs?  Or he/she is a larger breed than a 20lb dog?

Trusted Contributor

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. ... A doctor's letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

I don't think you have any legal basis with regard to discrimination.  However, you may have some rights with regard to keeping pets.  What is the condo's policy for pet ownership?  Size? Type?  I have a cat and must pay a pet fee.  

Valued Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. ... A doctor's letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

I don't think you have any legal basis with regard to discrimination.  However, you may have some rights with regard to keeping pets.  What is the condo's policy for pet ownership?  Size? Type?  I have a cat and must pay a pet fee.  

If she has the proper paperwork for a ESA, she does have a right to stay there.

Trusted Contributor

What I quoted comes from the ADA.  From what I read about ESA, it's a self registry.  

Trusted Contributor

She has a lease. She had prior approval. See a lawyer with the lease and also with anything in writing if possible. Doctor's note sounds good, too..

Lawyer up! Sometimes a letter only will do the trick. Don't cry, get tough!

Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

She has a lease. She had prior approval. See a lawyer with the lease and also with anything in writing if possible. Doctor's note sounds good, too..

Lawyer up! Sometimes a letter only will do the trick. Don't cry, get tough!

FYI - She doesn't have a lease.  She owns the condo. So, she's subject to the Association's rules and regulations.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What breed is the dog?

If the dog changed behavior, then the original agreement would be changed.

Is the dog being there, on the contract? If it's not it's going to be a problem.

I would walk the dog away from the complex.

Emotional support animals are NOT  true service animals. IMO (don't have the same legal protections)

Honored Contributor

This is pretty much a no brainer.  A support dog is not by any stretch of the imagination a service dog.  It's just a dog.  Good grief, all of our animals are emotional support animals.  Othewise, no one would have a pet of any kind.  She didn't say if dogs were allwed in the lease but I am going to assume they are.  The problem is her dog acted in an aggressive manner and for them to demand that the dog leave the residence, it happened more than once.  It was not just a dog pulling on a leash.  She probably had a warning prior to that notice she received.  We are allowed to have cats and dogs that are 25lbs or less but there are rules covering barking, aggressive behavior and dog poop etc.  

Respected Contributor

Some people are confusing renting/leasing with condo ownership.  When you have a lease, you are subject to the rules, and if they are not followed you can be evicted, or your lease not renewed.

Owning a condo is different.  You do have rules that must be followed, but if you don't follow them, the condo association can't evict you, because you are an owner......you own a fraction of the entire condo complex as well as your own residence.  The only recourse they have is to fine you.  If the fines are not paid, as someone else mentioned, they can and will put a lein on your condo.  I've lived in a condo for 28 years that allows pets with no restrictions on size.  If a dog is barking loudly a lot, they tell us to call the police.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't really get this relatively new category (to me anyway) of emotional support animals. What does that mean? That you feel lonely when no one is around so an animal takes the place of human companionship......or what?

I'm guessing some people use it as a way around their pet not being allowed, be it in your condo, the bus, the train, a plane, wherever.