Valued Contributor

@ZhillsYou don't "send" three payments in advance. You set up three payments to be taken out of account on three separate due dates. For example, say a bill is due the 15th of each month. I go in and set up payments for June 15, July 15 and August 15. All payments come out on those dates, but I have my confirmation numbers today for those dates. Computer does nothing until those dates. I've done this for years and never had anything marked "late".  

Now, years ago for example,  it you sent in three car payments in advance, and then thought you were good for three months, you are correct. You would have been delinquent in 30 days, because they would have applied the 2 extra checks to the principal, not future car payments. I had a friend do that and she actually ended up with her car being towed by the "repo man" until she got an upper level banker to actually look at the situation. Her credit was destroyed though.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

I set things up to be charged to my credit card, and make arrangements with my bank before hand to automatically transfer funds from my checking account to pay the credit card balance.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@dex wrote:

When you go on extended vacations how to you keep track of all of your home bills?I am hoping that everything can be accessed online.i prefer a mailed statement and haven't ever tried online payments.

@dex

I have most of our monthly bills set up for "auto pay". The only thing I concern myself with is making sure I have an adequate amount in the account on the "auto withdraw" date. I always follow up checking that the right amounts were withdrawn.

Some we pay quarterly, some via online, others mailing a check. Most service companies, which we have used extensively since our basement flooded with sewage, take our debit card. Those that don't, their office sends us a bill, which we can pay via debit card over the phone, or mail it to them by check.

Haven't been in a big bank since the Police detained me for almost 4 hours, in handcuffs, back in late 2013. Issued me a No Trespass Order.

That is how we handle our bills. Extended vacation, what's that? Never been on one and don't feel like I have missed a thing. Now my wife? She loves 'em, but then I am always here to take care of the home front.

If this means you have one coming up, and it is something you like doing? Enjoy yourself now.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

Have you told this story before?   I hope it was a case of mistaken identity or the like.   All I can say is ... yikes!     Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@hckynut my DH is just about finished working his last day today and is entering the life of leisure tomorrow.We want to spend an extended time in Canada visiting friends and My mom.My mother isn't doing well so I need to spend extra time with her.

I have to ask what the heck happened in 2013 that had you in handcuffs...good grief!

Do you keep a separate account for autopays apart from your regular account.Have you ever had any problems with funds missing or cancelling auto pays?I once had the phone company on auto pay and tried to switch services but I had a heck of a time getting the original company to stop withdrawing and then to refund me.Took three months of heated phone calls.

Super Contributor

I use auto pay for most bills, also full time RVers have amail service. This mail service(for a fee) will hold and then forward your mail to the address you provide for a one time delivery.  That also is the case with mail order prescriptions,  It can become your permanent address.  There are a couple of good ones.  This also works for boaters too, You can find The mail services in the classified adds in RVing magazines or Boating Mags.  

Honored Contributor

All my stuff is on autopay and I get emails with the bill total. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
  • @chrystaltree@We will be in Canada so I don't think we could get the mail and send out the bills on time.
Respected Contributor

It took me a long time to start paying online, I love it now! I do not have anything on auto-pay. A friend of mine whose husband passed away, knew nothing of their business. He had everything set up on auto pay. She is very behind times on her ways & very much tech illiterate (almost back to the stone age)..anyway when he passed away, she was getting things taken off auto-pay & took an act of congress to get things stopped & changed over. Also, from my moms recent death, it sometimes is a nightmare to get things canceled & stopped. I will NEVER use auto-pay, but that's jmo.

Honored Contributor

@dex

I pay my bills online through my credit union. Traveling would not be a problem.

...but I'd love to take an extended vacation to try it out! 

Super Contributor

@dex wrote:

When you go on extended vacations how to you keep track of all of your home bills?I am hoping that everything can be accessed online.i prefer a mailed statement and haven't ever tried online payments.

Whatnow:  Your post is a sort of deja vu because just today I was having this very conversation with a friend - she and I both pay our bills by check.  For what it is worth, her suggestion was that you pay a double amount on a bill during the previous month so that you actually have a credit for the next month when you are on vacation.

Now, I realize that this may not always be possible, especially if you will be gone for more than a month, but it is at least a suggestion.

Have a happy vacation.