Esteemed Contributor

Re: Part-time Job search VENT ...

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I'm not sure what you are upset about.  You would rather they cold call you for an interview?

Good grief - they are giving you an opportunity to set a time - and a number that is convenient for you (maybe the number on your resume isn't the best at all times).  My goodnesss - I'd think you'd appreciate their thoughtfulness, rather than criticize them.

But hey it seems like clearly they would not be a good fit for you since you are so disapproving of their procedures.

I agree.  Not everyone is sitting by their phone (landline or cell) all day every day.  They are attempting to make mutually acceptable arrangements to speak to you.

I don't find this strange at all.  It sounds to me as though they're being considerate.  Far better to have it done that way than for them to call you when you're in the middle of something or already involved in another important phone call.  Or, worse, to have you not recognize the number and perhaps answer abruptly or not at all.

I know that at certain days and times, I would prefer one of my phone numbers over another.  And I would hate to be caught off-guard.  I see nothing here to complain about.  Their approach sounds very professional and considerate to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@RinaRina

The recruiter probably should have given a little more information, but what they are setting up is your phone screen interview.  They want to know what is a good time for you and the phone number to reach you at at that time.

Thanks for the clarification.  The email didn't specify "to schedule a phone interview", so I was confused.

TY.

I don't think that matters.  It may or may not have been for an actual phone interview.  It may have just been to speak to you, to get a first impression of your communication skills, etc.  Your resume impressed them enough that they wanted to get to know you a bit better.  It was simply the next step in the process, and designed to be considerate of both your time and theirs.

You also said that they should know you'd be home all day every day.  Presumably someone looking for a job very well might not be available all day every day.  You could be involved in interviews with other companies or doing any of the many other things that are involved in a job search.  Companies never assume that you have applied with just them and are now sitting at home waiting.  They understand that you likely have a lot of irons in the fire and are keeping busy with that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OP, you are asking them for a job.  It's not a time to get persnickety.  In these days, the employer holds all the power, not the employee.  If you want a job, you better be able to do things their way.

Respected Contributor

Okay folks..lets BREATH..

She asked a question ..which was serious to her. You answered it..lets not pile on and beat her up for her thoughts.

Things change and people are not always aware of the things are done now, Some people who have been in the job market for years have a certain level of respectibility and responsibility that they pride themselves on.

Often the ones who are doing the interviews or setting them up are younger and more 'up on things' shall we say and more lax and informal in the way things are handled.

She asked a question and she was answered ..I don't think she was unreasonable either. Certain people have different expectations.

If I left a number as a contact number and somebody sent me an email asking what is the best number to reach me at. I would be scratching my head too. Didn't I provide a number? If the number may of changed..then maybe the email too..maybe that isn't the best one either lol..If I provided one of each..what makes them guess the email if my current one...and my phone isn't? LOL..

Seriously though..lighten up a bit folks..she asked a question didn't ask to be stoned to death for it. One great thing about this country. We are individual with individual thoughts on how we would do things and our expectations.

Honored Contributor

Uh, thanks for chastising everyone. I have read this posters posts over the years and I can see why she receives some of the answers that she does. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is how it's done now.They are affording you the opportunity to set up a convenient time to speak with them.My son went through the same process last year when he was looking for a job.Don't overthink it.Go with the flow.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Am I being unreasonable?  Are my expectations too high?

A week ago, I applied for a PT job I saw online ...

Yesterday, I got an email asking what time they could call me and at what phone number.

Uhhhh ...?

I've never had this happen.

Every prospective employer gets the same resume', which is very organized.

My name, phone # and my email address are at the top of the page.

Employers usually call me first, then send an email confirmation.

I've been retired for years. (as is reflected on the resume')

So, this employer sends me an email wanting to know what time to call me .. and at what phone # ..??

Uhhhh?

Well, where do you think I'm gonna be between 8A-5PM every day, all day?

Has she ever heard of voicemail?

Did she ever think of calling the phone # on my resume'? 

In the time it took her to write that email, she could've called me & left a message -- or better yet, actually spoken to me!

I don't "get it".

In the land of now-a-days, potential employers like to perform a phone interview first. Set up just like a in-person interview. They need to set a date and time. I really don't find this unusual. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

From what I have learned on this, they do a phone interview first, then want to meet you in person. The times have changed.

Respected Contributor

This is the way it is today, they want to know exactly when to call you so you'll be home to take the call.  They do not want to leave a voice mail and have you call you them back, you could be playing phone tag for days.  Even though you're retired, I'm sure you're not sitting home all day every day from 8 am until 5 pm.   I'm 62 and I can sympathize with you but this is the way companies do business today.