Honored Contributor

Re: Part-time Job search VENT ...

Yes, you're being unreasonable, yes your expectations are outdated, as is your knowledge of the business world today. And no, you don't appear to "get it."

Phone interviews have been common for about the last 12-15 years. Very, very common. For high-paying executive positions as well as store clerks. 

There are still many more people seeking jobs in this country than there are jobs. You want or need the job badly enough, you do whatever a prospective employer wants that's legal. 

Keep weeding out or dismissing those companies that don't do things "your way) and at some point you won't have any options.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I can't imagine what has the OP so upset.  Sounds like a gracious, professional way to handle the next step.  Agree with others...if this method upsets you, you're probably not the right fit for this company.

That employer dodged a bullet

Honored Contributor

Things have changed. If you want a job bad enough, you go with it.

Esteemed Contributor

In my last job I frequently contacted job applicants, either by phone or email.  Even though they might have a contact phone number or email on the application, more often than not it wasn't the number they wanted to use for a phone interview or the information provided wasn't current because the resume wasn't updated.

In my experience, the candidates were always happy to be contacted and grateful for the opportunity to be interviewed.

And that initial contact, like it or not, contributes to the overall impression of the applicant and I always remembered my interactions with them on the initial contact.

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@RinaRina

The recruiter probably should have given a little more information, but what they are setting up is your phone screen interview.  They want to know what is a good time for you and the phone number to reach you at at that time.

Thanks for the clarification.  The email didn't specify "to schedule a phone interview", so I was confused.

TY.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

It might be a fine idea to respond to the email and thank them for their time-you know, just in case the other job doesn't work out...

Just say'n....

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Assuming both jobs are offered, then the OP can 'accept' the one of her choice, but for most job types, it is SO not a 'seller's market'... Most employers these days are looking for solid workers who are 'team players', as tedious as that jargon has become, and prefer not to bring in folks with an attitude, whether it's one of arrogance or defensiveness... I'm not saying that applies here, I'm just saying...

@stevieb, this is particularly true once they reach a certain age.  If I were the OP, I'd be glad to get a call with the dated resume she sent.  It's not easy sometimes.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Assuming both jobs are offered, then the OP can 'accept' the one of her choice, but for most job types, it is SO not a 'seller's market'... Most employers these days are looking for solid workers who are 'team players', as tedious as that jargon has become, and prefer not to bring in folks with an attitude, whether it's one of arrogance or defensiveness... I'm not saying that applies here, I'm just saying...

@stevieb, this is particularly true once they reach a certain age.  If I were the OP, I'd be glad to get a call with the dated resume she sent.  It's not easy sometimes.

I agree @itiswhatitis...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I agree @itiswhatitis...

@itiswhatitis @stevieb

I agree, too.

Businesses are not quick to hire someone of retirement age.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I agree @itiswhatitis...

@itiswhatitis @stevieb

I agree, too.

Businesses are not quick to hire someone of retirement age.

I think businesses have issues with persons they perceive as inflexible... and it would seem many older workers, perhaps, fall into that category...

I've never been one who 'lived to work', rather, I work to live... And I don't permit an employer to dictate my life, but when seeking a job, to a point, one has to go with the flow and in this instance, to me, there really is no issue with a prospective employer emailing me to specify contact information for purposes of furthering my application. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...