Trusted Contributor

Re: PRIVILEGES FOR SPENDING MORE?

I rarely buy anything online that is not on sale/clearance/discount coupon available.  Only if I absolutely have to have it will I pay full price.  The Sephora sale kills me, because, as you said, the good stuff is gone early.    

Honored Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

I rarely buy anything online that is not on sale/clearance/discount coupon available.  Only if I absolutely have to have it will I pay full price.  The Sephora sale kills me, because, as you said, the good stuff is gone early.    

@sashamatthews  Last year, a friend who’s a VIBROUGE, said the trick is to sign into the Sephora site, fill your cart w/ the items and at the stroke of midnight, click on Place Your Order. If enough people do that, stock “flies out the door”.

Esteemed Contributor

The only physical store where I use "status" is Chicos.  I appreciate free shipping/returns and an extra 5% off everything.  I've been a customer for fifteen years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't forget Kohl's Cash! I like Kohl's, but I have a problem remembering to use my Kohl's cash. Years ago, they would let you use it for a short time after it expired; now "the system" won't honor that. I got some after a baby gift purchase last week. DD needs an outfit for a bridal shower this weekend. I wanted to give her my Kohl's cash, but it's not in effect until September 9 or so. I find myself buying dish towels, cooking accessories, and underwear - just to use my Kohl's cash! Smiley Wink

I guess my point is this: we get the Kohl's cash because of how much we spend. But Kohl's knows exactly what they're doing. It forces us to return to the store to USE it, and how many people will end up spending more just by walking in the store? 

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Don't forget Kohl's Cash! I like Kohl's, but I have a problem remembering to use my Kohl's cash. Years ago, they would let you use it for a short time after it expired; now "the system" won't honor that. I got some after a baby gift purchase last week. DD needs an outfit for a bridal shower this weekend. I wanted to give her my Kohl's cash, but it's not in effect until September 9 or so. I find myself buying dish towels, cooking accessories, and underwear - just to use my Kohl's cash! Smiley Wink

I guess my point is this: we get the Kohl's cash because of how much we spend. But Kohl's knows exactly what they're doing. It forces us to return to the store to USE it, and how many people will end up spending more just by walking in the store? 

Or, (and here's a radical thought) you can not just use it. You can let that "Kash" just expire, because all it is, is just a coupon, and nothing more.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

well. Tons, tons, tons spent over the years at QVC and no points,free ship, etc, my spending is WAY down here.  I’m not inclined to worry about kohl’s cash, another way for us to spend more for their extra 10/20 off to get more stuff we don’t need?  I didn’t shop kohl’s for a few months and they kept upgrading me to 30%.  

Honored Contributor

I’ve never had a coupon where I didn’t spend more than intended. That’s the aim of a discount. Even in my grocery store, Thursday is senior day and 5% off. I always purchase wine and more expensive items I don’t need yet.

Sephora, for example, w/ my 15% I would have searched that site for anything almost used up, would like to try, heard someone recommend, etc. They count on your purchase being far more than if paying full price...So who wins? They do.

Honored Contributor

As for Q I don't buy enough to be excited for free shipping & EZ pay is OK for large purchases, for me.

Lately, I find myself getting excited with sales, coupons, extra % off, etc.

I bought 4 golf polo shirts at JCP this week (80% off, extra 50% coupon, $10 rewards cash)

total spent $9.13🙂 now that's something to get excited about.

Super Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

About the only retail shopping "rewards" I really use are those offered by Talbots.  Free shipping, and ability to shop some sales before other people etc.

It may be a "caste" system, but I appreciate it.  And I don't see anything really wrong with rewarding loyalty and spending.

What annoys me are the companies which offer significant discounts to new customers, but never offer anything to people who have been with them for years.

Spectrum is a perfect example of this!

Honored Contributor

@Maestra1 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

About the only retail shopping "rewards" I really use are those offered by Talbots.  Free shipping, and ability to shop some sales before other people etc.

It may be a "caste" system, but I appreciate it.  And I don't see anything really wrong with rewarding loyalty and spending.

What annoys me are the companies which offer significant discounts to new customers, but never offer anything to people who have been with them for years.

Spectrum is a perfect example of this!

@Maestra1   DH had a great starter up deal w/ Direct TV and after 2 years, they raised the prices so high, he canceled.