Valued Contributor

Guilty! I have done it a few times with clothing and with Valerie Parr Hill gingerbread houses. It all worked out though. Gave the gingerbread houses to my niece who was thrilled. The clothing happened to be a couple of my favorite Denim & Co tops and it's nice to have doubles. When Isaac's crewneck top was a Big Deal last week, I almost bought yellow. I checked my closet and it was nicely folded on a shelf. I bought other colors instead Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu 

All. The. Time. 😱

Honored Contributor

I deliberately buy duplicates!

I have specific tastes in styles and colors in clothes and shoes. 

So, when I see "my" styles and colors, I buy  duplicates.

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu In January I bought 2 wrapping paper/gift bag organizers. I rounded up all my gift wrapping materials (they had not been all in the same place...) WHAT A SURPRISE: I had more materials than I will ever use.

Now I try to put like items of all sorts TOGETHER.

And NO, I found out that I do not need anymore number 2 pencils after I did the "office supply" exercise. Smiley Very Happy

-Solar

Respected Contributor

I cleaned out my linen closet a few weeks ago and found 68 bars of soap in variance brands and scents.

Esteemed Contributor

Make me feel better you all.  I was thinking I was the only one. I am going to declutter one more time and donate. But I feel guilty that I got caught up in duplicate or even triplicate items as well as all sorts of other items that I will never ever need.  

Esteemed Contributor

Easy to do, I suppose! I did that once with a shirt that I liked at Macy's - same style, but at least they were different colors.

But I really did over purchase during the toilet paper craze a while back. Now I have these rolls stuffed in the linen closet, and I don't even care for the quality of product that was available at the time. That's why they are still in the closet.

Honored Contributor

I will buy an item that I have bought before and really loved.... like Sketchers but in different styles and colors.  I've done the same with certain tops and especially pants I like, but I know I'm doing it and really don't want to waste our money so I'm careful.  Same with groceries.  BUT I have to tell you a funny story about some donations.  I donate frequently and went into the thrift store weeks afterwards and found a couple of items that I thought were adorable and bought them.  Came home with them and DH said, "I thought you gave those away"..... LOL, yup.... bought my own stuff back!!! 

Oh well.... it went to a good cause and I'll probably keep them since I liked them so much... LOL!! .

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Is it just me or am I the only one buying more than I need and forgetting what I have.  I stored away and then buy more only to find that I have duplicates or items that could be called duplicates as in jeans, shoes, items of clothing.  And then I seemed to have done the same thing for gift bags and packing materials (for example)

@bonnielu 

Your topic made me laugh!  

Well, here's a tip for all the entrepreneurs out there .... it's quite obvious we need some sort of little chart or booklet or program that's a complete INVENTORY of what we currently own.  Seriously.

I have a good wardrobe and outfits for just about any occasion, so I only replace the odd piece now and then. 

However, a large percentage of my clothes are my favorite neutral - black.   If I were to put all my black garments together, I would have no idea if I have any  duplicates in there.  None.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Over purchasing

[ Edited ]

@RollTide2008 wrote:

I cleaned out my linen closet a few weeks ago and found 68 bars of soap in variance brands and scents.

@RollTide2008 

THANK YOU for the laugh out loud .... that is sooo funny!

Woman LOL   Woman LOL   Woman LOL