Honored Contributor

Re: November 2017 - Back Fence

@Epicurean  Girl please, post whether you are up or down.  That's what we are here for at this back fence.  Yesterday it did seem like a longer day than usual.  It didn't help that I had rain since Saturday afternoon, just 30 minutes after I cleared every leaf on my property Woman LOL

Oh well, at least the leaves on the grass aren't shriveled up yet and depressing looking.

Now that we are back in our natural time, I can say it was nice to get up to some kind of light this morning.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Gosh darn it. Have NO bagels at all in this house - what have I done?

NOt as cold today as we have had the past few days - thank goodness for all favors. I need to get up on my feet and find out what is happening here - Ricky AND Davey are both super quiet. Now that scares me. ACtually I believe Davey is playing a game on his XBox and Ricky is playing on his I Pad - hope he does NOT decide to fall asleep now - he would never go to sleep later for the night if he does that. 

Chat later.

Honored Contributor

The temps have dropped here and I needed to vote (mayor and city council) after work.  I got into a conversation with a veteran who served in Vietnam outside (he was promoting 2 council candidates).  After 15 minutes I had to excuse myself because it felt like my face was freezing off, lol.  I'm a wimp.

Respected Contributor

I still have not gotten any more bagels. I need to get my head on straight and take care of some of the necessary things I need.

Shortly am off on my last couple of errands and then to get the two little ones back here. Sigh - just thinking of the energy I need to rope in for that. Do not think I have much to do except ride herd on them until Sunday morning. Saturday I am taking them to visit their Momma - that will wipe me out but both go and they all enjoy it. Davey goes with me to help keep the two in line and he has been very helpful doing this. He CAN help if he so chooses. LOL.

Hope all have a great day and none of you freeze.

Betty are you behaving? Bernie, am sure you are not so will not ask. LOL. But then Betty stays way too quiet these days - hmn.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred  Freddie, you know me so well.  It's really nutty around here at work.  In addition to the usual chaos, a co-worker is being repurposed for another project/initiative and I am being given a chunk of her responsibility.  It wouldn't be bad if I had expertise in what she does.  My insurance company has three different benefit/claims processing platforms and the one I am picking up I don't know.  Corporate America  - whatcha gonna do?

Honored Contributor

28 degrees was the high temp here today.  I'm an idiot.  I connected the hose to the spigot yesterday morning to wash out the bird bath and give the squirrels fresh water in their bowl.  I should have disconnected the hose afterwards.

This morning I go outside on the patio and see a solid frozen bird bath and stainless steel (squirrel) bowl.  It hits me, I turn around and that darn hose it attached to the spigot - frozen on right now :-(

I'll need to use an extension cord, however tomorrow I need to run the cord out the back door and gently warm up the connection with the blowdryer.

Trusted Contributor

Be careful with that hair dryer.   Looks like tomorrow might get a little warmer. These sudden deep freezes about do me in.   

I am am convinced that one of the greatest inventions on earth is the seat warmer in the car.  The only thing is you don't want to get out of th car.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lucked out this morning.  When I stepped onto the patio, sure the water bowl was frozen but I didn't feel like my bones were gonna seize up - it actually felt a wee bit warmer.  I walked over to the hose/spigot and was able to undo the connection to the spigot with my fingers only and no big strain.

One year I left that darn hose connected all winter long.  It wasn't until the next spring that I noticed I had a drippy leak outta the spigot.  Of course, I shut the water off in the basement and replaced the washer.  Well it wasn't the washer.  It was the entire insert that goes into the silcock (I still call it the spigot - when it comes to plumbing it's a different language).

My spigot is connected into the house to a brass pipe.  If I understood it correctly - it was connected by 'sweating', which involves heat.

So I went to home depot and tell the guys there, I need an insert (like a valve stem assembly) for my silcock (he he).  They tell me they don't sell those - I need a plumber.

I gave it some thought and said to myself - I can't hire one, he will have to bring a friend - one guy on the outside and one on the inside to hold the brass and sweat it.

So...... I studied my spigot and found a marking that looked like an arrow.  So I googled plumbing supply companies and found the manufacturer - in the great state of California - American made still - yeah.  So spigot designs haven't changed in 50 years so I figured, what the heck - order two spigots from these people direct - cost me less than $20.

The two spigots arrive - I take the insert out of a new one and place it into the spigot that's in the back yard and ta-da - problem solved - for a heck of a lot less than it would cost for a plumber.

I have a spare spigot and insert in the event I do something really stupid in the future.  

I was angry with myself because I know better.

It's been so crazy at work....

Trusted Contributor

Good for you Bernie,your quite the do-it-yourselfer.

it was cold today,didn't get much above 30. Just too darn cold for me. 

our son and family was here today for a quick visit. They came to do some shopping and then went to our daughters so the youngest boy could get a guitar lesson from his aunt.the boys are 12 and 16 and my goodness,they go through my pantry like a flock of locusts,eating anything and everything. I do so love having them come here,there good kids,smart,and into band.

this week my hubby and daughter,who volunteer with the co. P.D. Are going to take part in some  traning. The police are having  a traning event in a local movie theatre. A hostage and shooter event. My daughter is so looking forward to this. Guess they'll be hostages. My hubby spent 22years in law enforcement,so he's done this before. Only drawback is its from 12midnight till 4A.M.

finally got my haircut yesterday,should last a while as it's very short and pixie like.only because it grows so fast.My niece finally has electric since the hurricane in P.R.dont know how they managed.

everyone check I and let us know what's going on...

Respected Contributor

Those seat warmers in cars are the best. REmember my first visit to Jody - it was frigid and Tessa and I got to sit on warm car seats. Had NEVER heard of such a thing. Unfortunately I still do not have a car with warm seats. Not sure they even sell them out here in Sou Cal. LOL.

Bernie, you are a genius. Why I thought I was always pretty darn smart on fixing things, not sure I would ever have figured that out. And today, would NEVER get my hands to work. Losing so much strength in my hands has truly bothered me - perhaps more mentally than anything else. Just never thought it would happen. Sigh.

Yesterday was very chilly and damp all day. Sun stayed hidden behind the clouds all day although a couple times could see where it was due to it trying to peep out thru the clouds. Today suppose to be pure sunshine. We shall see.

Still never got those bagels - Sigh.

Hope one and all have a great day. Epi, how you doing friend?