Honored Contributor

Re: November 2017 - Back Fence

Alright girls I'm just about on my way out the door to head over to my niece's house.  Fingers crossed that everyone is in a good mood.  Sometimes, in my family, one never knows Woman Tongue

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Bernie, I remember so very well when our family got together it was heavenly. Last 20 or so years it has changed and not for the best. So very sad. Hope your day went well.

Also hope everyone had a super day!!

Honored Contributor

The sun is shining and it's cold outside.  I'm having my morning coffee with Perry Mason, lol.  I had a nice Thanksgiving day.  Now that the mulberry tree has shed all it's leaves, I spent an hour in the backyard yesterday afternoon and raked up half of the yard.  I'll finish the rest of it today.

In the past, my niece has really gone all out for holidays.  By that I mean, she channels her inner Martha Stewart and decorates and has fancy chargers under the plates and such. She's got alot on her plate this year as she and her husband are in the middle of the process of buying a home.  They close on it and get the keys next week and if I heard it correctly, they're moving into the new house a week after that. 

Her in-laws have been out of state this month visiting their daughter's family.  My youngest niece couldn't control her tongue this summer and said something really hurtful to my nephew in law (eldest niece's husband).  As a result of that - youngest niece is not welcome or invited to family gatherings.  That's a whole 'nuther mess I am not getting involved in.  I'm hoping the tincture of time takes care of that one. 

Basically, there was 6 people involved in dinner yesterday.  Niece's family and me and my sister.  My niece is like my Ma - she can't help but cook for a crowd.  The amount of food there was astounding given the number of people at the table.  Eldest great niece woke up with a tummy ache after a nap so she was whiney.  Youngest great niece was crying on an off when she wasn't getting her way.

Basically, it was controlled chaos - that's family Woman Very Happy  It's not always gonna go perfect.  We had to divide and conquer with the kids and some folks were eating while others were soothing the kids.  We didn't even grace in as a group before folks starting eating.  

Everything settled down about an hour before I took my leave.  I called my middle sister, who left for home before me to make sure she was settled in.  She sounded 'off' and I said, whatsa matter?  She said, it didn't feel like Thanksgiving.  I just laughed and said, it's not like the old days and you expect too much sometimes.

I didn't manage to get the exterior Christmas lights up around the garage or front porch so I think I'll be skipping that this year.  I usually do the Christmas decor Thanksgiving weekend and keep it up until the feast of the Epiphany.

I threw out the little tree last year and bought a big one on sale at Kmart after Christmas last year.  I need to figure out where to put that tree now.  It's crowded near the hearth in the family room (where I spend most of my time).  The hearth is built up and Grayson has never seen a big tree in the house so I don't want risk he will stand on the hearth and try to poke around in the tree.

Can you imagine?  Me coming home to find a pigeon in the Christmas tree?  It would be a cute picture, but the bird could take an eye out.

Trusted Contributor

Sonds like you survived just fine, Bernie.   We went tonCindys about 4 pm.   Cindy looked pretty good after her hip surgery.  Maggie, her lab greeted us at the door with her new toy. She is an English lab so large but she is a sweetie. Ten years old now. 

Cindys husband did all the cooking.  He had Turkey, rosy beef and mashed potatoes and a sweet potato casserole. I was surprised that green beans were nowhere.  Everything was very good except I dontbtouchbsweetbpitstoes.  

Joe and Tyler and families had been to their dads side of the family at noon so we're not very hungry.  Todd had bought some Amish pies for dessert and the cherry and peach were sent home with us. No way can we eat that much pie. We all helped clear the table and visited just a short time. Cindys eyes were looking heavy and she was due for a pill.  She does go up the stairs to bed. It looked to me like she was doing well.  

It it wasn't like thanksgivings of the past but it was ok.  My sister had all her greats and grands at her house and she wrote and said wish you could have come and help eat these leftovers.  I wanted to say you never invited us but I didn't. Lol.  She had all her little ones and I'm sure it was fun.  

It it was nice to just drive a few minutes and have a good meal and come home.  Our Japanese tree dropped all its leaves so that's on the agenda for this afternoon.  It's supposed to get to 50 so should be pleasant.  

We we need to go to a birthday party for erica's daughter tomorrow. She'll be 15.  I'm just going to give her some cash. It always fits.  She has her own style which works well for her but I can't put it together.  So this is a win for all of us.  

Honored Contributor

I didn't go shopping on Black Friday, however I did go out for a couple of hours yesterday.

My first stop was the pet cemetery to put up the winter decor.  I can't tell you how happy I am that solar lights were created because after doing this over 25 years, it was getting tricky when it came to not repeating the decorations.  At the end of last year, I found this set of hanging solar snowman lights and bought them in advance for the pet cemetery.  The shepherd's hooks came in 3 pieces so I was able to leave out the middle piece of metal and have shorter hooks, which suited the graves better. 

Image result for snowman hanging solar lights

Three Kmarts within an easy drive for me are closing in January.  The one in St Clair Shores was my store when I lived in Detroit.  The other one north of me wasn't that close so I visited that one less.  The one near my doctor's office had become my store in recent years.  I stopped by this one and looked for something I could remember it by.

I found a cute Jaclyn Smith ornament in the style of delft porcelain.

Image result for jaclyn smith bird ornament with blue wings

I then went to Meijers to get yet another 40lb bag of bird seed while it was on sale.  I picked up some other groceries like cereal while I was there.

I then popped into Target to get my silk light vanilla soy milk (since Meijer's stopped carrying it) and finally found a new winter hat and scarf.  It's amazing to me how ugly the hats and scarves are this year.  I was lucky to find these:

Chaos Women's Beanie with Flower

I then hit the recycling center and grabbed a pizza on the way home.

All of this getting in and out of the car was tiring, lol.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry I didn't swing by the fence yesterday.  I pulled a neck muscle getting tangled up in my blankets just as I was going to bed on Sunday.  I'm telling you that I am my own worst enemy, lol.

Work was hectic and then I spoke with my middle sister who let me know her cat passed away on Sunday.  She said she didn't want to tell me because we're creeping up on the time of year when I got the call at work that my eldest sister died. 

She took her cat to the vet in October and blood work was inconclusive.  Silverbell's kidney function wasn't that out of the norm for a cat her age - 16.

Kidney failure sneaks up on cats and that's what happened on Sunday.  My sister was able to find an emergency vet on Sunday so Silver didn't suffer. 

These things never get easier, no matter how many times you go through it.

Respected Contributor

Oh my, shame on me. I have NOT been here since Thanksgiving. I should be put in the corner for quite a spell. Sorry about that - guess my brains - or whatever it is I have - is not operating correctly. Now am I surprised about that? Nope.

Chilly this evening - been busy today and tomorrow and Thursday will be even more so.

I am really tired - but plan to have a great cup of Keurig coffee - that thing sure makes good coffee. Ate an early dinner in DeVore - took Ricky to Sherry's. Next couple of days will be super busy. Ugh!!

Hope one and all are doing well. I need to go and pick up some stuff laying about and then will head to bed after my coffee of course - no little ones here tonight so can do that - very very tired.

Hope all had a great day!! Please join me in a great cup of coffee - yep, occasionally I will drink a cup in the evening as it does not bother me.

Trusted Contributor

nothing going on here.guess no news is good news. We had a nice thanksgiving,quiet,just 6 of us.my daughter came over the day before and we cooked whatever we could.then she came over early that morning.so,I had lots of help,but wow was I tired,and hurt. I went to bed before 9 that night and did not get up till almost 1p.m.

have got some Christmas shopping done,all online. I do love Amazon,plus they have the best c.s. bar none.

it is about 65 outside today,very nice.just hope it lasts.

i ordered some food today,on line,for Christmas. I ordered some lobster Mac and cheese,hors d'Oeuvers and andouille sausage in puff pastry.every year I try to have one thing new.

thats it for today ladies.hope too see everyone here soon.

Honored Contributor

It was 65 degrees here yesterday.  I was inside at work and missed the warm temps, but the sunshine yesterday and today was nice to see.

Honored Contributor

The December 2017 thread is up, follow this link:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/December-2017-Holiday-Happenings-at-the-Back-Fence/m-p/42...