Respected Contributor

Re: November 2017 - Back Fence

Congrats to Merle - that is super great but not really surprising. He is a workaholic for sure and apparently loves what he does - well most of the time. Good job Merle. Betty, is he ever going to retire? Just asking

Bernie you behaving?

To one and all - please stop by and bring some food. Am leaving some bagels and cream cheese since I finally went by and bought some. Geez!!

Have a good day one and all!!

Trusted Contributor

No, I don't think he will ever retire.   he wouldn't know what to do with himself.  

I had always thought we would retire and maybe travel a bit but he doesn't know how to just relax. Even when we go on vacations he is on the phone.  We are complete opposites    

Honored Contributor

Yesterday I tackled the leaves in the front yard, after the snowflakes stopped Woman Surprised   On the bright side, the leaves were damp and I was able to really cram the paper bags full.  I think I'm all set with the front yard now - 5 bags.  Of course, my neighbor hasn't raked once so if a good wind comes, her leaves could end up on my yard.

This weekend I need to work in the back yard now that the mulberry tree has dropped it's leaves.

I'm getting better at it and cleaned the front yard in an hour. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

We saw Just a few snowflakes but had really high wind. Some parts of Indiana had tornadoes. Some of Merle's territory had some damage.   Lots leaves piled on the curb side blew all over the road and clogged the drains so there was much flooding.   We had over three niches of rain.  

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I wonder if me cleaning along the curb in the street is an inner city thing or a family thing.

I think I am the only person on my block who rakes and picks up the leaves along the curb in front of my house and cleans off the sewer grate (next door). 

I was raised this way, you clean the street in front of your house (and, back in the day when the garbage man came through the alley) and you clean your part of the alley behind your garage or back yard.

I'm in the burbs - got no alley, but I do keep a curb and driveway free of litter, leaves and built up snow.

Trusted Contributor

Bernie,my hubby was getting the leaves off the front yard today,and when he was done I saw him cleaning the gutter.yes,it's something we always did also.

went to the grocery store today since we're having thanksgiving here,as always.i think in 48 years of marriage we have not eaten at home a total of twice, I love having it here. But,OMG,the grocery store was unbelievable.you could not move. But I will say,everyone was very polite.

wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean  There ya go, it's home training then (about cleaning the curb/gutter)

Respected Contributor

Always good to have some rain but three inches is a bit much - especially with clogged drainage routes - right Betty? Here no such thing as rain - it is HOT. Tomorrow even warmer.

I was exhausted yesterday - the two little ones drove me insane. Primarily Ricky - that poor little guy sure has problems and I have had people address that for over a year and it is worse now than ever. So upset over his behavior. 

Am not fixing Thanksgiving dinner from scratch, ordered it already prepared. I do have to heat everything up but all is cooked and it is always delicious. Have done that for several years now and at first - many years back - I had some doubts about it but once I did it, I never went back to spending a few days in the kitchen like I once did - a lot easier. And now that I am even older - it is a blessing.''I do wish one and all a great Thanksgiving Day - I try hard to remember that it truly is a day for Thanks - not just delicious food.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred  My eldest niece invited me and middle sister to dinner again this year.  This one will be bittersweet for all of us I am sure - last holiday we had with my sister, their mother was Thanksgiving 2016.

Middle sister Mary and I said, let's lessen the burden of all that cooking - niece and her husband work full time and have 2 kids.  Mary ordered a dinner from Kroger and I'm splitting the cost of it with her.  Sure, niece might want to make some of her special veggie dishes, but the lions share of the cooking will be done - just warm and eat.

My sister Anna did it one year and I'll tell you - it tasted home cooked.

When husband was alive I made a full dinner.  Me not being all that into food I have to tell you, buying it, cooking it and smelling it while I was cooking left me with no appetite to eat it once I served it Woman Very Happy  Catering it out is the way to go for me.

Honored Contributor

Related image

Happy Thanksgiving to my Back Fence friends.  I appreciate you and am thankful for you.