Esteemed Contributor

New Wildfire Near Our Village

An announcement by the village indicated a new wildfire is within 2-3 miles of the Upper Canyon area. It is on the Mescalero Reservation. Our Smokey Bear hotshots are on the scene. An air attack has been ordered. Grindstone Lake has been closed for recreation so water can be taken from the lake to drop onto the fire. It is estimated to be 1-3 acres. 

The Upper Canyon is narrow and densely populated by historic cabins and homes. I took these photos there earlier this Spring.

IMG_1376.jpeg

IMG_1366.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: New Wildfire Near Our Village

SO very sorry.  Praying that they quickly deal with the fire.  Please stay safe if you are near.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG Thank you. My husband is at the grocery store and does not know about the fire. It is across the valley from our mountain which as the crow flies is probably 5 or 6 miles. We will monitor the fire. They are attacking it now,, so I hope they can get it under control quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

Fire is growing. About 5 minutes ago, they ordered a type 1 helicopter. It has to fly in from Santa Fe. I just heard the orders for a tanker to be sent here. That does not sound like a fire that is being easily suppressed.

We have a scanner and are listening live to the communications.

Respected Contributor

My prayers and thoughts are with you On It, and with all the beauty that is NM. . .

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is so frightening for everyone in the area, the animals and land.  I do hope they can do something to stop this fire from spreading and destroying.   The weather has changed and it is much worse than I can remember in my lifetime.

Stay safe and be well.

Honored Contributor

Oh my, are there many homes in your area,and thinking about all those beautiful animals.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@spiderw You are so right. It is bone dry here. Clouds form and have lightening, but rain does not reach the ground. It evaporates while falling. The extremes of weather are getting more extreme. We never had this many fires in the past. This is the third one since the Bear 2 Fire that required 800+ firefighters. This one is worrisome because it is very close to structures and populated areas.

They just said the fire has grown to 15 acres. The air attack ordered a additional frequency for aircraft communications. I do not know if I will be able to hear that one.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest That area is packed with homes. They are very close together. Evacuation route will be down one narrow street if the fire moves in. Once they reach the bridge the canyon widens and alternate routes of escape become available.

Honored Contributor

On It

I hope and pray the fire will be under control and cease.  I agree with you about the weather change over the years, it is scary to say the least.  In my area we are expecting a horrible heat wave that much of the country experienced.  I dread it all.

Keep us posted as to the situation where you live and thoughts and prayers go out to you.