Honored Contributor

Re: NEED HELP - TSA RULES - HAVE QUESTION ABOUT MEDICATION

I always gather up all my meds in their original bottles and toss them in a zip lock bag which I'm sure is larger than 1 gal.  Nobody has ever question my system.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I bought my husband a "nylon folder" that had small zip lock bags for each day. I bought it from AAA. It works great when you travel. It is slim and also enough to protect the pills. TSA never has had a problem with it. And we have flown to Vancover, BC, San Francisco, Chicago, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Houston and to Philadelphia. No one has had a problem with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Medicine does not have to be in a 1 quart bag.

Make-up does not have to be in a 1 quart bag.

Shampoos, lotions, toothpaste, etc, DOES have to be in a 1 quart bag.

TSA will not deny someone their medicine, even if the bottle is over 3.4 ounces.

Even if the medicine is OTC, it won't be denied.

Just let the TSA agent know that it is medical, and they probably will do extra testing on it, but, they won't take it away from you.

Nursing mothers fly with their babies milk all the time, and that's more than 3.4 ounces, and there isn't a problem with it.

Your medicine is no different.

Regular Contributor

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post.  I contacted TSA directly as suggested and this is what I found out.

1.  Medications can be put in the weekley dispensers.  Meds in bottles need to be put in a plastic bag in original containers.  There is no limit on the amount of pills you can take along in your carry on.  With liquid meds there seems to be a questionable restriction of the amount that TSA feels is required for the flight.  Read the TSA rules.

2.  Makeup, eyeliner, mascara, lip gloss, shampoo, facial cleansers, sun tan lotion, toothpaste all of that stuff has to be put in ONE QUART sized plastic zip bag and in the required size container and you have to be able to close the bag completely.  This bag needs to be taken out of your carry on at the check point and it will be looked at.

3.  All liquids, creams, gels, pastes that don't fit in the teenie quart sized bad need to be packed in your check in bag and amount does not matter and the size of the container does not matter. I do beleive that there is a total amount of ounces that can be put in the check in bag.

Thanks again for the help.

Esteemed Contributor

In all of the times that I have flown, I never had to take out my mascara, lipstick, eyeliner, let alone, have them in a one quart bag.

I have traveled with liquid medicine, and I just tell the agent that it is medical, and they are okay with it. As long as you are not taking a gallon of something, when your flight is only two hours long, you should be fine.

TSA will not deny someone their medicine. Can you imagine the fallout if they did?

But you have to declare it medical to the officer.

Respected Contributor

I'm pretty sure that quart bag business refers to liquids.  I take a bunch of meds and vitamins.  I use a 7 day dispenser that is dvided into 3 sections for each day.  I portion out my meds for each day and put the dispenser in my carry on.  I have never had any problems at all. 

Respected Contributor

@Peridot wrote:

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post.  I contacted TSA directly as suggested and this is what I found out.

1.  Medications can be put in the weekley dispensers.  Meds in bottles need to be put in a plastic bag in original containers.  There is no limit on the amount of pills you can take along in your carry on.  With liquid meds there seems to be a questionable restriction of the amount that TSA feels is required for the flight.  Read the TSA rules.

2.  Makeup, eyeliner, mascara, lip gloss, shampoo, facial cleansers, sun tan lotion, toothpaste all of that stuff has to be put in ONE QUART sized plastic zip bag and in the required size container and you have to be able to close the bag completely.  This bag needs to be taken out of your carry on at the check point and it will be looked at.

3.  All liquids, creams, gels, pastes that don't fit in the teenie quart sized bad need to be packed in your check in bag and amount does not matter and the size of the container does not matter. I do beleive that there is a total amount of ounces that can be put in the check in bag.

Thanks again for the help.

I just flew in Oct. and I have never put makeup, toothpaste, etc in the quart size bags.  They go in my freedom bag inside my carry on and it's never been an issue.  As for meds, they go in a daily dispenser and I toss them in my purse. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

This is information from the TSA Blog. http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/09/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-with.html

This link has a contact number.

Great information !!

Respected Contributor

We have also carried the weekly pill dispensers filled for the week with no problem.  We put it in our carry on and not our checked bag in case the checked bag gets lost.  We never take the original perscription bottles.

I do have an idea for the future though.  I think I will take pictures of the fronts of our perscrition bottles to have with me if there is any questions.  It shows the name of the meds and our name, dates, etc.  That would be the same thing I'd think.

Esteemed Contributor

I wanted to add that you can carry an Epi pen in your purse without a problem also.