Regular Contributor

NEED HELP - TSA RULES - HAVE QUESTION ABOUT MEDICATION

In a week I will be flying to Florida.  Have not been on an airplane in 25 years and rules and regulations are a lot different now as everyone knows.

Here is my question......I take medicaiton and several vitamins and suppplements.  It states in the written rules that all meds (for your carry on) have to be in original containers and placed in a quart sized plastic bag.  I will need at least three quart sized plastic bags.

I have heard that you can use these daily/weekly pill dispensers.  Has anyone used this method?  I will need three of the weekly dispensers as I take meds morning and evening.  These dispenses do not fit in a quart sized plastic bag!  Can I put them in a gallon sized plastic bag?  Is this acceptable?  I don't want to get to the check in baggage area and then find out this is not acceptable and they throw my meds away or they make me check in my bag and pay the fee for the extra bag.  I don't feel safe about just throwing the dispensers in my carry on without having them in a plasstic bag.

Any adivse and help is greatly appreciated.  I am flying American but I would think it would be the same for all airlines.

Respected Contributor

Re: NEED HELP - TSA RULES - HAVE QUESTION ABOUT MEDICATION

Can you call the airline and ask them?  Maybe airport security has the answer.

Trusted Contributor

I checked the TSA site & it said medication must be clearly labeled. Liquids (including medications) are what needs to be in the 1 quart bags. I think if your meds aren't liquid you could probably put them all in 1 gallon bag. But to be on the safe side could you put them in three 1 quart bags inside of a gallon bag? Then if they need them in 1 qt. bags you could just open the gallon bag? 

Esteemed Contributor

This is information from the TSA Blog. http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/09/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-with.html

This link has a contact number.

Respected Contributor

I fly frequently and just put what I need for the week in the pill dispenser and put it in my carry on.  Never a problem.  You only need the quart bag if the medication is liquid. 

Trusted Contributor

I flew to a couple of different US cities this past year. My prescription medication was in it's original container. But I also took various vitamin supplements, Airborne, and a couple others - all were in pill form.

Basically, I picked the biggest supplement container, took out the excess pills that we would not need and mixed in the others that we wanted.

I'm not sure this was the best thing to do but then I did not know - until this post - that there was a rule that said they needed to be in the original containers. I would not have wanted to carry 4 different supplement containers with me. I don't recall putting them in the clear bag either; both prescription and supplement came with me in my shoulder bag.

I do put all the liquid items in the clear bag. I think the maximum size for each is 3 oz.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for the link nutmeg3.  It was of great help and answered a lot of my questions.  Thanks for taking the time.

Honored Contributor

I think there's some mix up here about medication rules and make-up rules.  I know we're allowed only ONE quart size bag of liquid make-up products, but I have never paid any attention to my meds that way.  Nor do I mix them into my make-up bag.  Most of my meds go into my weekly pill dispensers.  They're not liquid, so there are no limits.  I've never been stopped for the pills in my dispensers, but I suppose I could be on some airlines.

Please go to your airline security rules and read the rules as they apply to what you need to take with up, OP.

Honored Contributor

If it were me I would keep my RX with me in the original containers in the ziplock bag and put the vitamins in my check bags.  CVS sells little ziplock bags to put pills too like these http://www.cvs.com/shop/home-health-care/other-daily-living-aids/medicine-accessories/ezy-dose-dispo... you could put your vitamins in those as well

I flew fo the first time in 14 years and my RX were not an issue.

Esteemed Contributor

I have carried meds in little containers with flip tops for each day with no problem.  I have also carried meds in orginal containers, no problem. The advice given is excellent from the listed site.  Thanks for that.