Honored Contributor

My Father Passed Away On Christmas Day

My 91-year old father passed away yesterday.  He was in a memory care facility and had been sick with norovirus that most/alll of the residents had.  He was the last one to get well.  He had been under Hospice care for three weeks because we had found out that he was in heart failure.  He was very ready and prepared to die.  He didn't want to go to the hospital again.

I had spent time with him on Christmas Eve, and my sister was with him when he died.  He had seemed better, and his caregiver had given him a shower and said he talked with her right before he suddenly seemed like he was going to die.  My sister came in fifteen minutes before he passed away.  She saw him and immediately called me to come.  

I got in my car immediately to go, but he died before I got there.  I know he's in heaven now with my mother, and I know he is at peace.  He was not in good shape.  It's very sad for my sister and me and our family.  I would appreciate prayers or good thoughts.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

Re: My Father Passed Away On Christmas Day

I am so very sorry for your loss. My condolences and prayers to your family at this sad and difficult time.

Honored Contributor

I am sorry for your loss.  Prayers for you and your family.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Blessings and prayers to you and your family @NickNack .  I'm so very sorry. Just know, in your heart, that he is well and with your Mother now.  He is Home and Safe. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  I'm so sorry to hear that.  We share this date.  My Mom passed on Christmas day 2013 at 94.  She never suffered, which was my one hope.   Be thankful for that.  Sending you hugs.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack I am sorry for your loss.  

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If you have read any of my recent posts, you know this just happened to me also.  My dad was 92 in an assisted living center.  He fell there and broke his hip.  In the hospital, he developed blood clots, and was placed in hospice care.  He was never conscious after the night we left after his fall.

My brother and I were there a lot.  But we also missed the actual time he passed.  As a nurse, I have often felt some people wanted family there, and others waited until family was gone.  So, it is beyond our control. 

This holiday season has been horrible for me.  So, expect any and all emotions.  Your dad is at peace, as is mine.  I think my dad and yours had much of the same feelings of being ready.  He wanted to be reunited with my mother.

You gave him what he wanted to not be in the hospital.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  It is still very raw for me.  So, you are not alone.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  Sincere condolences on the loss of your father. Sending thoughts and prayers for strength in the days ahead. He may have been ready to go and anxious to be with your mom again, but we are never prepared for the loss. Blessings.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I am so sorry for your loss.  If you have read any of my recent posts, you know this just happened to me also.  My dad was 92 in an assisted living center.  He fell there and broke his hip.  In the hospital, he developed blood clots, and was placed in hospice care.  He was never conscious after the night we left after his fall.

My brother and I were there a lot.  But we also missed the actual time he passed.  As a nurse, I have often felt some people wanted family there, and others waited until family was gone.  So, it is beyond our control. 

This holiday season has been horrible for me.  So, expect any and all emotions.  Your dad is at peace, as is mine.  I think my dad and yours had much of the same feelings of being ready.  He wanted to be reunited with my mother.

You gave him what he wanted to not be in the hospital.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  It is still very raw for me.  So, you are not alone.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003   Thank you for your kind words and thoughts.  I am very sorry for your loss, too.  You will be in my prayers.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

My mom passed Dec. 18, 2014. She was at home under hospice care due to cancer. As same as others, as much time as my sister and I (especially sister) spent there, she passed when we weren't there. My condolences to you and your family.