Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Central Air Conditioner is not working

One of my units is having trouble cooling the downstairs.  It's taking a longer time.  Fingers crossed it's nothing.  I'm a little worried though, it's been running a long time and should have gotten cooler, not hotter Smiley Sad

It's in the 90s.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@panda1234   Defintely agree. We had our A/C checked a few months ago...just in case. It didn't need repair, but I knew we'd make it through the hot, humid southern summer....until the storms knocked the power out overnight. Ugggg!

@Shanus I am in Delaware and it can get pretty hot and humid, where are you? If you don't have the A/C going it is not good for the carpets or furniture......gets damp from the humidity. Several years ago we had to wait for a part for the A/C and we lived in our finished basement.

@panda1234   I'm in North Carolina and when it gets hot and humid...unbearable!!! In the mod-90s this week and heat index about 100. W/O my air conditioning, I'd perish. (?!?!?!). We have hug floor fabs for back ups when power goes out. 

I sleep "hot" and have the a/c set for 65 at night, 68 during the day.  

Duke Power gives a set charge every month based on the precious year and then "settles up" at the end of the year. We've rarely gone over. So let my house be freezing cold...I wear my long exercise pants and a long sleeve shirt in the house...DH, too. In winter, the heat is only set at 70 (fireplace if needed in kitchen/sunroom) if needed....and heat off at night w/ windows in bedroom wide open!!! Can't wait to feel that cold blast while sleeping....

@Shanus I feel your pain. In the mid 90s here all this week. No way you can sleep if you are hot. Being cold is the best, you can always put something on. I too am looking forward to cooler temps in the coming months.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@panda1234   Defintely agree. We had our A/C checked a few months ago...just in case. It didn't need repair, but I knew we'd make it through the hot, humid southern summer....until the storms knocked the power out overnight. Ugggg!

@Shanus I am in Delaware and it can get pretty hot and humid, where are you? If you don't have the A/C going it is not good for the carpets or furniture......gets damp from the humidity. Several years ago we had to wait for a part for the A/C and we lived in our finished basement.

@panda1234   I'm in North Carolina and when it gets hot and humid...unbearable!!! In the mod-90s this week and heat index about 100. W/O my air conditioning, I'd perish. (?!?!?!). We have hug floor fabs for back ups when power goes out. 

I sleep "hot" and have the a/c set for 65 at night, 68 during the day.  

Duke Power gives a set charge every month based on the precious year and then "settles up" at the end of the year. We've rarely gone over. So let my house be freezing cold...I wear my long exercise pants and a long sleeve shirt in the house...DH, too. In winter, the heat is only set at 70 (fireplace if needed in kitchen/sunroom) if needed....and heat off at night w/ windows in bedroom wide open!!! Can't wait to feel that cold blast while sleeping....

@Shanus 

Your description is scary to me!  I'm very cold natured!!!

Premium Photo | Young woman scared ,afraid and anxious

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo 

Glad you got your AC fixed, and don't want to upset you, but I wanted to post to anyone else that the thing called "the capacitor" is an item on cental air that is MADE to fail FIRST in case of the unit overheating or straining. It fails so  the unit does not.

It is a very easy to replace this part for the novice. Just turn off the  electric breaker to the unit, pull the capacitor up or out ( it looks like a soda can with wrtiing on it), and replace with the same one.

They fail a LOT. That's thier purpose, in part, to protect the unit from further failure.

Look at your capacitor TODAY. it is easy to find. Write down the number on it, go to Amazon and get your self one .

Under "air conditioner capacitor" on the Big A.

They are  a 15-30 dollar part.

They just plug in like everything else today...no wiring skills needed. You can NOT make a mistake. You Tube can show you where it's located on your unit.

20  dollar homeowner repair. Great spare to have on hand. And if you don't need it, o well, 20 dollars for that part when it's 100 degrees and it's on your shelf at home, ready to use, is PRICELESS.

9 times out of 10, it's the capacitor. And if it isnt THEN call the repair guy!!!

Note: ALWAYS check You Tube first for problems you encounter.

My Kenmore front loader washer started draining slow. You Tube suggested the filter ahead of the water pump that pumps the water OUT of the washer at the end of the cycle, could be clogged.

Found where it'l located, and unscrewed it ( ANOTHER thing that looks like a soda can!!!). It was FULL of 8 years worth of threads, lint, coins, toothpicks, a pencil etc that were caught before they could enter the pump and destroy it.) 

Ten minute FREE fix. Washer drained perfect after that!!!!  Sears would have charged hundreds to unscrew that things and dump it out into a bucket.!!!!

If you don't have the manual for your piece of equipment, most of them are online today, with exploded diagrams of where stuff is located. Just need the model or serial number!

I'm  a 66 year old and am not afraid to tackle anything.

Another ripoff is replacing the cabin air filter in your car. They all have them today. Five minute changeout, filters avail. on Amazon, instructions for your car make on good ole You Tube!!!!

I've also changed the toilet valve ( the thing that fills the toilet in the tank), the toilet wax ring under the toilet, and repaired the gasket on that front loader with 5 cents worth of epoxy glue a small peice of rubber cut from a floor mat...the gasket had a tiny cut in it that made that front loader leak a little at the door). the gasket alone at the time was over 100.00 to buy, and looked like an ordeal to replace!!!).

Change the oil in all my lawn equipment too. 

I HATE being dependent on others, and don't do waiting. The ONLY thing I won't touch is electrical wiring. You can only make ONE mistake with that, and it leaves a big gooey mess for someone else to clean up! (Electrocution).!!!

Remember: EVERYTHING that was put together on an assembly line by people can be taken apart by people. EVERYTHING.

You do NOT need a male appendage to do any of these jobs either.

Just the right (small) set of tools!!!

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

@Scooby Doo 

Glad you got your AC fixed, and don't want to upset you, but I wanted to post to anyone else that the thing called "the capacitor" is an item on cental air that is MADE to fail FIRST in case of the unit overheating or straining. It fails so  the unit does not.

It is a very easy to replace this part for the novice. Just turn off the  electric breaker to the unit, pull the capacitor up or out ( it looks like a soda can with wrtiing on it), and replace with the same one.

They fail a LOT. That's thier purpose, in part, to protect the unit from further failure.

Look at your capacitor TODAY. it is easy to find. Write down the number on it, go to Amazon and get your self one .

Under "air conditioner capacitor" on the Big A.

They are  a 15-30 dollar part.

They just plug in like everything else today...no wiring skills needed. You can NOT make a mistake. You Tube can show you where it's located on your unit.

20  dollar homeowner repair. Great spare to have on hand. And if you don't need it, o well, 20 dollars for that part when it's 100 degrees and it's on your shelf at home, ready to use, is PRICELESS.

9 times out of 10, it's the capacitor. And if it isnt THEN call the repair guy!!!

Note: ALWAYS check You Tube first for problems you encounter.

My Kenmore front loader washer started draining slow. You Tube suggested the filter ahead of the water pump that pumps the water OUT of the washer at the end of the cycle, could be clogged.

Found where it'l located, and unscrewed it ( ANOTHER thing that looks like a soda can!!!). It was FULL of 8 years worth of threads, lint, coins, toothpicks, a pencil etc that were caught before they could enter the pump and destroy it.) 

Ten minute FREE fix. Washer drained perfect after that!!!!  Sears would have charged hundreds to unscrew that things and dump it out into a bucket.!!!!

If you don't have the manual for your piece of equipment, most of them are online today, with exploded diagrams of where stuff is located. Just need the model or serial number!

I'm  a 66 year old and am not afraid to tackle anything.

Another ripoff is replacing the cabin air filter in your car. They all have them today. Five minute changeout, filters avail. on Amazon, instructions for your car make on good ole You Tube!!!!

I've also changed the toilet valve ( the thing that fills the toilet in the tank), the toilet wax ring under the toilet, and repaired the gasket on that front loader with 5 cents worth of epoxy glue a small peice of rubber cut from a floor mat...the gasket had a tiny cut in it that made that front loader leak a little at the door). the gasket alone at the time was over 100.00 to buy, and looked like an ordeal to replace!!!).

Change the oil in all my lawn equipment too. 

I HATE being dependent on others, and don't do waiting. The ONLY thing I won't touch is electrical wiring. You can only make ONE mistake with that, and it leaves a big gooey mess for someone else to clean up! (Electrocution).!!!

Remember: EVERYTHING that was put together on an assembly line by people can be taken apart by people. EVERYTHING.

You do NOT need a male appendage to do any of these jobs either.

Just the right (small) set of tools!!!

@Othereeeen Thanks for the info!  I'll check it out.

I can fix a toilet and change oil as well.  And I have a chainsaw.  But mechanical things are a puzzle to me.  

I have to chuckle at your screen name.  My name ends with an een.