Honored Contributor

Re: My Central Air Conditioner is not working

Last month was my month of things that can will go wrong....after 30 years in a home....I think things just get old and start to break down....anything can happen.

Plumbing woes are the most disastrous and messy. Last month the conection piping to the toliet from the wall started leaking...think goodness it happened when we were home. Last time the same thing happened about  20 years ago...same toilet...we were at work....the water cascaded down the heat vent to lower level...had to replace and repair all the duct work downstairs 🙁 $$$$$

Honored Contributor

@panda1234   Defintely agree. We had our A/C checked a few months ago...just in case. It didn't need repair, but I knew we'dmake it through the hot, humid southern summer....until the storms knocked the power out overnight. Ugggg!

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Scooby Doo On July 4th, my AC was blowing warm air. Checked the compressor outside and the fan wasn't turning and there was only a humming sound. Sounds just like yours. 

Luckily I found my AC guy on a holiday and he came out. It was a condenser in the compressor. It took him only 20 minutes to install a new one for $400.

Money well spent. If it had been something worse that took some time for repairs, I would have had to leave. With the heat many of us have been having, it's dangerous without AC. Find someone who can come sooner. 

Yes, that sounds just like mine.  Probably the problem.  Early this morning I called a place named SOS and he will be out in a few hours.  

Esteemed Contributor

Until you get it fixed you might Google AC alternatives.  When I lived in Europe and Korea it sometimes became necessary to use some of those.Some include two small fans set diagonally so that air flow intersects or rigging A fan so it blows over a wet towel or a bowl of ice.  Use all your ceiling fans ( set so cool air blows down, not up).  Use cool Dana's or similar to help keep your body temp down ( and so forth).

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear that.  We have no hot water in our building.  There are 8 condos in our building and lost hot water yesterday.   Management is "aware of the problem and will keep us informed".   So....   It's day 2 for cold showers.  🥶    I'll have to heat some water to wash my hair at the kitchen sink.  I can't wash my hair in cold water.  

Honored Contributor

I have a service contract on my HVAC system.  They service twice a year.  In between, I change the filter every other month, per their recommendation.

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Scooby Doo On July 4th, my AC was blowing warm air. Checked the compressor outside and the fan wasn't turning and there was only a humming sound. Sounds just like yours. 

Luckily I found my AC guy on a holiday and he came out. It was a condenser in the compressor. It took him only 20 minutes to install a new one for $400.

Money well spent. If it had been something worse that took some time for repairs, I would have had to leave. With the heat many of us have been having, it's dangerous without AC. Find someone who can come sooner. 

Yes, that sounds just like mine.  Probably the problem.  Early this morning I called a place named SOS and he will be out in a few hours.  

@Scooby Doo That's great news. Let us know how it goes.

Respected Contributor

I wonder what people did before air conditioning was invented?

I wonder what people in the rest of the world in poor countries do?

I wonder if everybody wanted air conditioning if the planet could really sustain that kind of demand?

Perhaps some places are not really meant for people to inhabit.  Watching all the wild fires destroy neighborhoods is sad but also a warning.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I wonder what people did before air conditioning was invented?

I wonder what people in the rest of the world in poor countries do?

I wonder if everybody wanted air conditioning if the planet could really sustain that kind of demand?

Perhaps some places are not really meant for people to inhabit.  Watching all the wild fires destroy neighborhoods is sad but also a warning.

@FancyPhillyshopper  Well I'll tell you what we did growing up with no AC. Sweltered! Night time was the worse as our room was the second story attic which had one window at each end. No breeze ever got in. It was horrible.

Honored Contributor

I wonder about the advice saying that you cannot stay in your house in that heat? Does the poster have any idea how many people don't have A/C?  I certainly agree 107 is sweltering, but I imagine there are families who use fans and ice packs to stay cool. In any case, I sympathize with the OP.