Respected Contributor

Re: May Flowers (2017) at the Bird's Nest

@Winifred  I am sorry to hear that Davey might have to be put in the system.  I agree with you about driving 2x a day to Redlands.  I hope it all works out for everyone. 

The weather sure does change there......sounds like New England.  The saying here is "If you do not like the weather wait a minute."  The northern part of the state had flurries last night.  We have one cold day and then one in the mid 60's and this week it is to be cold all week and rain on and off. 

I hope it warms up for you. 

Take care of yourself!

Waving high to all the birders!!!

Respected Contributor

DH tossed out some stale rye bread for the crows and he never broke it into pieces like I usually do.  I just looked out there and saw a slice of rye bread walking on by...lol.  The way the slope is I could only see the bread slice but DH who is taller told me that a small squirrel was carrying it.  He said the slice of bread was about the same size as the squirrel.  We often feed peanuts to the squirrels and chipmunks.

Honored Contributor

@possummink  Did you see in the Garden forum the thread entitled, "the nerve of that catbird?"  If not, take a peek. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Image result for catbird

Thank you,  Mousie,   I did go to that thread and did leave a post and photo of a Catbird, like above. 

I have seen the 'catbird' caricatures and have no clue how people make them but they are funny.  Many talented people around.

Your garden sounds like it's just growing and blooming beautifully.  I miss doing all that, but my back and endurance won't allow a whole lot of it like before.  I did get the rest of the regular amaryllis's planted today.  Still have the Florida amaryllis's and about 12-14 banana plants to put in yet. 

Kitty, the Catbird, sat above me in the Yew tree today when I was planting the amaryllises and singing the most beautiful thrush like song. It's amazing how many calls this bird has. Heart 

Honored Contributor

:

Honored Contributor

:

Honored Contributor

*♥♥♥*:

Respected Contributor

Awwwwwwwww there is Conrad - still think of that great friend every day. Would love to have another one but realize I could take care of a four legged friend well right now.

Feeders are empty and the birds completely disappear when that happens. They use to hang out and glare at me or at least let me know they were still here. They have not done that this year. I find that so strange, feeders empty and they disappear.

Suppose to be a bit warmer today - yesterday was not bad and at least no rain. While we always need rain we do not need it like we had it on Sunday. Horrible.

Hope all have a great day!!

Honored Contributor

Well, most of my black squirrels have grown their hair back.  There is one that started losing her hair later than the others.  She has a patch on her back that is coming in so glossy.  She was sitting up eating some peanuts and I noticed she is pregnant.  Lord, nothing sadder looking than a patchy haired pregnant squirrel.  I make sure she has lots to choose from on the food and water front.  Poor thing :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Wow!  I have never seen a black squirrel!  Must be pretty!  We too take care of our little squirrels and also the chipmunks.  Sounds like you are going to have little ones around.....nice!  I have never seen a baby squirrel either. 

Waving hi to all the birder!  Have a great afternoon!