Esteemed Contributor

Re: Maintenance people who come in your home w/o a mask

All I can say is the people on this board sure have a lot of people coming in and out of their house. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If my husband can't unclog my sink (curly hair here), I'm going to have to call a plumber. I will tell them beforehand that they must wear a mask. I don't anticpate any problems.

The virus is most definitely not over, and certainly not here in SoCal.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

All it does is keep people in a heightened sense of panic, fear and hysteria that the world is ending tomorrow.

Enough already.

@Anonymous032819 

I know why and sounds like you do also.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are right.  Your husband is mistaken.  The virus is still out there and if over 60 we are vulnerable.  If over 60 with "stuff" then we are even more vulnerable.  No, I'm not panic'd or especially worried as we are now going out to eat and shop, but I believe in precautions so I have disposable masks and gloves, 2 cloth masks as well as hand sanitizer.

Have some handy for whomever you invite in who didn't think to wear a mask and I agree, make sure you address this with whomever you first make arrangements. 

It's still important because the virus is still around!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I had someone come in 2 weeks ago to assemble some exercise equipment we bought. It was 112 outside and the poor guy was sweating bullets. He had a mask and gloves on. He asked if it was ok if he assembled in the house and I said ok. I also told him he could take off his mask and soggy sweaty gloves. He couldn't put the machine together wearing gloves. I had no problem. I'm not going to make someone pass out all over a mask. After he left I wiped down the machine and moved on. 

@Meowingkitty Not all of us would have done that.  I would not have.  That's why all of. us should check first when we make the call to ensure that what happens with the people who respond and that it will be what each of us is comfortable with. 

I'm certainly not going to make the guy work outside in 112 degrees (in the shade) with the sun beating down on him for 45 minutes. Sun stroke and heat exhaustion Is not something you mess with here in Arizona. In the sun it would be much hotter. Probably near 125. We had no problem letting him in and putting the equipment together. We wiped everything down after he left. He had a mask on and gloves but the gloves were pretty sweaty so he took them off after he asked if I was ok with it.  I gave him a paper towel. There is no way he could do what he had to do with those gloves on. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I had someone come in 2 weeks ago to assemble some exercise equipment we bought. It was 112 outside and the poor guy was sweating bullets. He had a mask and gloves on. He asked if it was ok if he assembled in the house and I said ok. I also told him he could take off his mask and soggy sweaty gloves. He couldn't put the machine together wearing gloves. I had no problem. I'm not going to make someone pass out all over a mask. After he left I wiped down the machine and moved on. 

@Meowingkitty 

That was very kind and considerate of you.Heart💙

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

No one enters my home except for me and DH without a mask. Workers can do what they like outside my home but if I am paying them, they will follow proper, indicated precautions. If they are unwilling, that is their choice and  I am free to spend my money elsewhere with someone who has common courtesy and respect for me and DH. My money, my choice.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

We had to have someone come to our home also to check our AC.  When I called I requested the worker wear a mask and they said yes, they are all doing that.  He showed up with a mask on and we wore ours the whole time.  It was greatly appreciated.  I would not have let him in without one.

I wouldn't either.  Absolutely not.  

I needed a repair a few weeks ago, and was told that masks are mandatory for their employees.  If they hadn't volunteered that information, I would have asked. 

I now have an issue with my a/c.  When I call tomorrow, I will be sure they have the same policy.  Absolutely I will not let anyone inside my home without a mask.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Meowingkitty Not all of us would have done that.  I would not have.  That's why all of. us should check first when we make the call to ensure that what happens with the people who respond and that it will be what each of us is comfortable with. 

Exactly.  It takes little effort to ask ahead of time.  The last thing I want is a surprise when the guy shows up.  No one comes into my home without a mask, and I want everyone involved to be on the same page about that.  Otherwise, it's a waste of everyone's time.

Respected Contributor

So far anyone who came to do a service (HVAC, delivery guys, etc ) has come to the door masked except the irrigation guy.  He doesn't come into the house - turn on/off irrigation valves are in right inside my garage.  He texted when he turned onto street asking that I put the garage door up, and he tested and checked the system and left.    

Both HVAC and irrigation service receipts were emailed. It was very very hot when Irrigation guy came and he is caregiver to older parents so he chose not to wear a mask and asked that we place a check/cash or any CC we were going to use on top of our trash toters in the garage.