Honored Contributor

Re: Maintenance people who come in your home w/o a mask

@caroln242 wrote:

I'm glad someone brought this up.  It just happened to me also.  I did request upfront that the men coming in my house wore a mask but they showed up without them.  I offered them masks I had on hand.  One put it on, walked in the house, and immediately said, "I can't wear this and work".  He walked out the front door and got on his cell phone, which I took to mean that he was calling his office and was going to cancel our service appointment.  I really needed them there so I told them to forget the masks and just do their work.  I stayed away from them as much as possible but they seemed annoyed the whole time they were at my house and it was just a very unpleasant situation.  I considered calling their office and lodging a complaint but decided against it.  They did work hard and did a good job.  So far there hasn't been any repercussions from the situation.  I guess I just have to reconcile myself to the "mask" -- "no mask" mindset that divide the population and make a few compromises along the way.  But I was relieved when they left.

That was bogus, if you can perform surgery with a mask, I can't think of much else that you can't do. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

My main bathroom bathtub faucet is "frozen", stipuck and won't move. I called the plumber I have a contract with and described it to him. I told him I isolating and will it be ok if I wait until a vaccine or the virus has better treatments. The owner said I will be fine. 
  It's just me in the house. I have two other showers and never use that one. 
  I do plan to have a termite inspection and dehumidifier inspection in my encapsulated crawl space. But, that's not inside.

Esteemed Contributor

My A/C had to be worked on a little over a week ago.  Prior to his arrival, we had several days of high temps and high humidity.  I was honestly so happy that he came that I didn't even think about masks.  Afterwards, I wished I had remembered and asked him to wear one.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't bother to say anything; just hand 'em a mask and tell them to get to work (I keep a supply on hand just for situations like this)

Respected Contributor

@usffan wrote:

If I have to have maintenance work done, I request a mask when I make the call to begin with.  I meet them outdoors and if no mask I ask nicely if they would wear one.  So far they have all come with a mask on.

Nice strategy; the only difference I'd make is to give them a mask and TELL them to wear it--nicely, of course :-)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a very interesting topic to me because FL is and has been "open" for a few weeks.

During the "stay at home" order every service business commercial advertised:

• We will take every precaution before coming to your home.
  • Our trucks are sanitized
  • Our technicians will wear masks & booties
  • Our technicians will not leave your home without sanitizing area 
  • AND blah blah blah....

NOW not one thing mentioned in ANY advertising.  I just said to spouse did you notice:

• No more sales incentives or big sales cuz we're staying home
  • No more talk about virus
  • No more emphasis on cleaning, etc.
  • No more were in this together, we will get thru this &
  •    all the other virus related stuff...

Rarely, do they mention it even on our local news!!!

I went to store this morning...masks, gloves, thermometers, wipes & more at reduced prices...

guess it's back to "normal" in the eyes of businesses🤷‍♀️. Even theme parks are gearing up for openings this week ...

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻the "experts" were wrong, media panic "doom & gloom" we will be getting another wave...I'll still take precautions and ask those coming to my home to do the same, if I feel uncomfortable.

But rarely except for the very elderly have I seen "masked" people children included and now they don't even care how many are in stores...

Honored Contributor

I had a sales rep from a local cable company come to my door.    I wouldn't open the glass storm door.   I could hear him fine, I don't need cable.   But he kept asking me to open the door because he couldn't hear me.    He was fully credentialed, that wasn't the problem.    Why would the cable company send out these guys during a pandemic!!

I never felt I was in danger in any way, but I'm still shaking my head.

If you need someone to come to your home, make it clear during the intital phone call that you are compromised & ask if they will wear a mask.    Or provide a mask on arrival.   Your husband?   Sorry you are on your own with him.

@chiclet wrote:

Yesterday the A/C went out in my home due to a bad breaker.  The A/C man came into the house without a mask as the breaker is located in laundry room.  I did not realize he would be inside that much.  My husband goes into a small enclosed 3 by 8 laundry room and they talked about the breaker etc.  face to face for a while.  I was so angry because if my husband takes chances with his life so be it but he is endangering mine to.  We are old with lung problems.  If we both get sick there will be no one to take care of our three little dogs.  The A/C guy has to come back so I requested that they send someone willing to wear a mask indoors.  Now my husband is mad at me because I fussed at him about it.  So from now on anytime I call a person to do any work that would require them to come inside I will request ahead that the person wears a mask.   Just blowing off steam....

Contributor

Wouldn't bother me a bit, since this whole thing is just a scam to dehumnize us as much as possible.  I've worn a mask twice, became ill both times....won't wear one again.  The end.

Esteemed Contributor

They rarely mention the virus on the news any more because there are other things going on in the world, and quite frankly, the wall-to-wall non-stop Covid coverage was getting old, especially when they don't really have anything new to add.

All it does is keep people in a heightened sense of panic, fear and hysteria that the world is ending tomorrow.

Enough already.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

You had every right to ask the repairman to wear a mask inside your home and your husband should have been insisting the repairman wear a mask as well. I had a similar incident a couple of weeks ago. The power went out in  my apartment building and the electric company had to end up replacing  a transformer. The next day a maintenance worker came to my door wanting to reset the kitchen stove but luckily it had reset on it's own and the clock had reset to the right time. When he asked to come in I asked why he had no mask on and his response was "excuse me ?" I said no mask, no entry and told him the stove had reset so no need for him to come in so he went on to the next apartment. No way will I allow any repairman to come into my apartment and put me at risk.  You did the right thing !