Esteemed Contributor

Re: Maintenance people who come in your home w/o a mask

We had to have someone come to our home also to check our AC.  When I called I requested the worker wear a mask and they said yes, they are all doing that.  He showed up with a mask on and we wore ours the whole time.  It was greatly appreciated.  I would not have let him in without one.

Esteemed Contributor

I had someone come in 2 weeks ago to assemble some exercise equipment we bought. It was 112 outside and the poor guy was sweating bullets. He had a mask and gloves on. He asked if it was ok if he assembled in the house and I said ok. I also told him he could take off his mask and soggy sweaty gloves. He couldn't put the machine together wearing gloves. I had no problem. I'm not going to make someone pass out all over a mask. After he left I wiped down the machine and moved on. 

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I had someone come in 2 weeks ago to assemble some exercise equipment we bought. It was 112 outside and the poor guy was sweating bullets. He had a mask and gloves on. He asked if it was ok if he assembled in the house and I said ok. I also told him he could take off his mask and soggy sweaty gloves. He couldn't put the machine together wearing gloves. I had no problem. I'm not going to make someone pass out all over a mask. After he left I wiped down the machine and moved on. 

@Meowingkitty Not all of us would have done that.  I would not have.  That's why all of. us should check first when we make the call to ensure that what happens with the people who respond and that it will be what each of us is comfortable with. 

Esteemed Contributor

A few weeks ago I had a rep from a company come about replacing the outside metal doors at the top of the stairs that lead up from my basement to outside. (often referred to as bilco doors). When I got email confirmation of the day and time he was coming I was given a few options of how we could communicate and discuss my options when he arrived. One was via my phone and his cell phone, another was wearing masks but speaking thru either a screened window or door or talking face to face both with masks.  

As it turned out he needed to go down in my basement to take some of his measurements from inside and I needed to turn on lights for him and show him where he needed to go and we wound up having our discussion down there so we just wore masks. When we were looking at the door situation from outside we just kept our distance. 

Bottom line is that I appreciated that they gave me choices ahead of his visit so I'd feel comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

In my state gov made it a "law" that everyone has to wear a mask when out in public or cannot stay six feet apart.

Rioters were not six feet apart, nor wearing masks.........  No fines, etc., .........guess it's okay for some not to follow the rules.  I just try to follow the rules as best I can.

But, don't see a problem with someone working on something in a home without a mask applying the proper distancing.  And, don't see a need to "sterilize" the area as it's been documented that virus doesn't survive very long on inanimate objects.  I also can't imagine wiping down packages though some choose to.  

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

In my state gov made it a "law" that everyone has to wear a mask when out in public or cannot stay six feet apart.

Rioters were not six feet apart, nor wearing masks.........  No fines, etc., .........guess it's okay for some not to follow the rules.  I just try to follow the rules as best I can.

But, don't see a problem with someone working on something in a home without a mask applying the proper distancing.  And, don't see a need to "sterilize" the area as it's been documented that virus doesn't survive very long on inanimate objects.  I also can't imagine wiping down packages though some choose to.  

I have never wiped down packages. I wash my hands after handling and throw away the packaging. I've had many grocery deliveries and I never wiped all the items down. I just washed my hands after handling. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet   I had a simular thread I started a few weeks ago on the same subject...  I also had issues with people coming to the house to do necessary repairs , one was a sewer leak, and they workers did not come wearing masks to talk with me.  My husband gave one fellow a mask and asked him to wear it when he came back in a few days to do the repair when talking to him.  

It should be mandatory that anyone talking one on one with a customer WEAR A MASK.  When doing the repair if necessary for comfort... take it off. But, we had two fellows come to give quotes on prices for repairs and they wore no mask. I asked them about it and I told them they should wear a mask to talk to the customer at this time with the virus issue.  They appologized and said that yes they should have and will in the future...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet 

Blow away! That is a "you/husband issue" the serviceman had nothing to do with it, someone allowed him to come inside. We had an IP Tech inside our home after my ice rink shut down in early March, but seems like years ago to me. No mask, no problem for either my wife or myself. 

We have been to the hospital twice for 2 monthly B-12 shots. Last Friday for a full blood draw and full health test by our Hematologist Doctor. Will get the results of our Iron Ferritin today. If low, Iron Infusions. My wife 1 day, myself 2 days, 1 week apart.

Other than that no virus diagnosed.

"To each their own"!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

If I have to have maintenance work done, I request a mask when I make the call to begin with.  I meet them outdoors and if no mask I ask nicely if they would wear one.  So far they have all come with a mask on.

Trusted Contributor

If a construction worker comes to my door, and I do expect one soon, if he doesn't have a mask to wear inside, I will hand him one. If he refuses to wear it, I'll tell him his services are not wanted, I don't need his germs and throw his ___ out. If I get a bill from the company, I will write on it that he refused to cover himself w/protective gear inside and if they persist, I will contact my lawyer. Situation corrected.