Respected Contributor

Regarding feet and having mani/pedies done at a salon.  I cannot stand havng my feet touched so I never had pedies done in a salon, and I do my own manicures.

I was having my hair done in a salon that also did manicures, including the false nails that were popular in the 1990's and early 2000's.   There were two ladies having their nails done, the false kind, and both mentioned that they had some sort of nail infection.  They both laughed and made the comment that their situations couldn't have come from the salon!  I almost fell out of my chair!  If it were me with a nail infection and had regular manicures at one salon, I'd assume that it was caused by the salon.  However, not these ladies. Exactly why they didn't make the connection is beyond me. 

BTW, I stopped going to that salon to have my hair done.  

Esteemed Contributor

Well, gosh, @Annabellethecat66, that sounds like something I would do. I can't believe your neighbor figured out it was you. Yikes.

Honored Contributor

@happycat  I know, what are the odds?  I barely knew her.

I haven't seen her in years!  She lives in the same house but I don't think she comes out much.

At Christmas I made some banana bread and went across the street to a neighbor's house.

They came to the door and I said, "I I'm your neighbor across the street.  All of you guys must wonder who lives there.  I don't work and I go in and our from the garage.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year".

I've lived in this house for 41-42 years.  When we built it there was only 1 house in the whole neighborhood.  We picked the lot and my husband designed the house.

We used to walk around the neighborhood when my girls were little, but after my husband died and the girls moved out, I just did yard work. 

Eventually, I got to where I could do much yard work so I pay someone to do all of it.  Actually, there are several people who do it.

Gradually the other people retired and moved away.  I have a few neighbors who are good friends, but it's expensive to live in this area so they move to North or South Carolina generally.

That's what my daughter uses when she keeps saying I should move.  She says, "Mom, this is a house for a family.  You don't even go into the rooms."

I just can't think of living in an apartment/condo.  I'd love to build another house and I could but it wouldn't make sense at my age to do that.

I know a lot about building houses.  I worked alongside the builders.  I put my girls in mother's day out programs for a few hours and day and came to the house.

OMG!  That was pretty close to Heaven.  I love everything about building houses.

Getting old sure stinks.  I think I'm just too practical.

Honored Contributor

I find it fascinating that people like and dislike so many different things.

Food, touched, not touched and on and on.

My oldest granddaughter loves going to the salon with me to get pedicures and she also gets manicures.

Her sister (who's just 15 months younger) hates being touched that way so she never goes.

She and I go to the bookstore together.  I make sure I spend time with both of them.

We sit and talk for hours, all three of us.  I never talk down to them, I think they appreciate that.  They are extremely intelligent and (most important) very, very kind people.

But as far as pedicures.  I only go to one person to get one.  She's changed places so often I have trouble keeping up with her.  I always way, way overpay her because I know she's the main support in her family.  Her husband is only in his early 40's and has brain cancer.  She took him and their two children to Vietnam this summer so they could meet the great grandparents, etc.

I'm very specific on how I want my pedicure done.  I carry all of the tools used.  They are mine, I bought them and bring them with me.  Even the different polishes I carry there.  The bag is pretty big!  Ha!  Again, I'm a germ-a-phobe.