Trusted Contributor

@Commoner Exec Mr Wilkes wrote:

Always sneakers, even when playing tennis.

We thought calling them "tennis shoes" was pretentious.  An exotic, foreign term.

New York now.  New York always.   New York forever!

@Commoner Exec Mr Wilkes ... Another New York State person here! Born and raised here. Lived here always ... and we always called them sneakers too! 

Trusted Contributor

Hi @cheriere 😊

Called them sneakers when l was growing up and still call them sneakers! From New York State! 😊 💖

Trusted Contributor

@cheriere 

By the way, l enjoyed your story about your Grandpa ❣️

Respected Contributor

@EastCoastGal wrote:

Hi @cheriere 😊

Called them sneakers when l was growing up and still call them sneakers! From New York State! 😊 💖

My cousins in NY call them sneakers too.  I can remember in the summertime when they'd come south to visit, we each thought it funny to call them by the other name lol.

Trusted Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@EastCoastGal wrote:

Hi @cheriere 😊

My cousins in NY call them sneakers too.  I can remember in the summertime when they'd come south to visit, we each thought it funny to call them by the other name lol.

@cheriere ... Yes! I bet that was funny how you and your cousins called them a different name! How fun your cousins came down to visit in the summer! That way you got to know them too! 😊

Respected Contributor

@EastCoastGal    lol, for a bunch of hillbillies we're sure scattered across the USA. 😂

I LOVED when they or we visited.  I always went back to school feeling so much cooler than before lol.

Trusted Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@EastCoastGal    lol, for a bunch of hillbillies we're sure scattered across the USA. 😂

I LOVED when they or we visited.  I always went back to school feeling so much cooler than before lol.

@cheriere ... l doubt you're a hillbilly!! lol... So you and your family visited your cousins too? That's great! Bet that was fun too! Did you grow up in Florida? I grew up in a small village in New York State. I've lived elsewhere in my state but moved back to the area in a different town now.

My hometown is so different now after so many years of not living there and no more family there so l moved where my siblings are now. Only thing is, l have to use a GPS to go most places! lol... or maybe I should say grrrrr... Ha! 

Esteemed Contributor

Only go by sneakers.

Never have I heard the words tennis shoes here.

Honored Contributor

sneakers

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Respected Contributor

@EastCoastGal   No, I didn't grow up in Florida.  My moms parents had a place there.  I grew up on the border of TN and KY, so most would probably refer to us as hillbillies lol.

Family would often come here to visit because that's ultimately where the older generation still considered home.  Plus, there's a lot of fun things for kids to do, we all had boats in the lake, many tourist attractions, Smokey Mountains and such.

Believe me, without GPS, I could barely make it anywhere lol.  However, it's a good thing I can still remember where I live because for some strange reason, it's totally wrong for everyone on my road according to GPS.  The county won't change the addresses to match GPS either???  The thoughts of needing an ambulance terrify me because of this!