Honored Contributor

We're away and boy do I miss having more than one bathroom or at least double sinks. 

That may be the inconvenience of a hotel stay. We just got back to our room...quite late for me. DH wants to shower and so do I. At home, he can shower while I bathe.

I know some have no running water, indoor plumbling or even a roof over their heads. 

I'm sure others, besides me, take forgranted the simple things we get so used to.

Honored Contributor

Re: JUST ONE BATHROOM

[ Edited ]

i grew up in a home with one bathroom for seven people.  It never was an issue.

The home I live in now has three and half baths.  Both my husband and I use the bathroom in our bedroom for showering.  We both use the powder room on the main floor when we are in that area if the house.

The other two baths get dusty.  We never use 

them.  We both prefer to shower and have large walk-in.  Our tubs haven't been used for years.

We used to live in a home with double sinks when we were first married, but never used the bathroom sink at the same time, so it made no difference.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: JUST ONE BATHROOM

[ Edited ]

@Shanus - I agree about taking things for granted.  We have two full bathrooms, so he uses one on the first floor and I  use the other on the second floor.  We were just talking today about how nice it is to each have our own.  I told him that when my mother was a child living in a tenement in Manhattan (over 100 years ago) four families had to share one bathroom out in a common hallway.  Plus each family had to take turns cleaning the bathrooms. I can't even imagine what that was like, so yes, we are spoiled!

Valued Contributor

@Carmie ...I hear ya!  Our house was over 100 years old, and had 1 bathroom.

5 bedrooms, 2 parents, .......and 9 kids!!!

I really don't remember a lot of difficulty, but that may be because I was the oldest, a boy, 

and I didn't need the bathroom for hours on end like my 7 sisters did!  They may have totally different recollections than I do!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

Grew up with 3 older sisters. Public Housing Projects till I was 14. Only 1 bathroom and back in the '40'-'50's none of our apartments or houses had a shower, only a tub.

Moved out of Public Housing Projects into a 2-bedroom/1 bathroom 850sq.ft. house. Only 2 older sisters now at home. Still no shower. Next house was new build in 1953. It was a 2-bedroom/1 bathroom/no shower 950sq.ft.house.

First time I had access to regular showers each day was when I joined the United States Army. Learned on the 1 week long camping drills, how to dig trenches and to hover.

So 1 bathroom for myself and my wife? Never was or has been an issue, even though we did have 2 in each of our 2 townhomes, and our present Paradise.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Shanus @the in-law suite we will be moving into at the end of March has only one bathroom and my husband is terrified lol.  My first house with my first husband had only one bathroom and we were fine.  It's nice to have 2 or 3 but I'm fine with one big beautiful bathroom.  😊.  Not sure how much time people spend in their bathrooms but I don't spend a whole lot of time in mine lol.   But I can see how one would get used to multiple bathrooms for 2 people.  

Honored Contributor

We have one only also.  Just like one car.  You just do what you have to do.  I do believe for every person in a home, you should have a bathroom for each. (Not counting kids).

Honored Contributor

I grew up with only one bathroom.  Not to say it was always easy, it wasn't.  There is only one bathroom in the house I have now and there is just DH and I.  I wish we had two! Or at least a powder room.  You just make do and that's the way it is.... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

One bathroom fan for many reasons.

Honored Contributor

Our bathroom at home has a separate "room" with the toilet. DH can be at his sink and I can still do my "business"...privacy!  

I guess you could book a suite, but for two people and a lot of money?  We used to have two adjoining rooms when we vacationed and the kids were getting to be teenagers. They needed their space.