Honored Contributor

My Mother grew up in England and she and her sister grew up in a very old home in the country.  Out house and a big fireplace.  I'm not sure if they had any running water.  She said she and her sister would feign being asleep until they couldn't any longer.... lol!  First one up was responsible for getting the fire going. ....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I'm 72 and have managed to survive with one bathroom my whole life.

Growing up it was my parents, Mom's parents and my sister and I, 1 bathroom. Married with 2 kids, 1 bathroom. Now, 1 bathroom.

Never once did anyone pee down their leg or leave the house without a shower/bath due to having 1 bathroom.

Super Contributor

Grew up in a house with one bathroom, two parents, one sister. Many times Dad drove frantcially down the block to the gas station...

We had an extra shower in the basement but no extra toilet. Don't know why the folks didn't put one in when it was already plumbed.

Mom didn't let us use the shower in the bathroom -- she didn't want to clean it. Baths only!

Honored Contributor

The house I grew up in had one bathroom for 5 people.  Since we had a well, all 5 of us did not bathe on the same night.  I was considered the bathroom hog, so regardless of what night was my night, I went last - usually after others had gone to bed!