Regular Contributor

Re: Is this my "Imagination"? Commercials

How about the TP. commercial that states you will be so clean you can wear your underwear for 2 days ?

These nasty commercial get our attention and that is what the seller wants. 

Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

I couldn't even enjoy the Tut show because it really did hurt my ears when the ads came on. I could hardly hear the actors.

And I also thought some law was passed about this. It always bothered me the Tut thing was ridiculous.

Maybe the rule should be that commercials can't be louder than the average volume of the human voices?

KJPA
Honored Contributor

House cat: I really watch tv out of boredom sometimes which for the last 10 days has been stuck in the house.

omg daytime tv is terrible although I used to enjoy The Chew once in awhile.

So I'll keep on HGTV unfortunately mostly re-runs but good background noise (rarely watch QVC anymore).

In the evening I'll watch MasterChef, Deadliest Catch, House Hunters and that's about regular shows. The rest of the time I flick channels.

I also noticed that flicking during commercials all the stations have breaks that's when I flick to old standby shopping channels!  Thank you everyone for clearing up my "imagination" and I'll be glad when the sun returns and get back to my normal routine!!!😊

Honored Contributor

I think the practice is misguided. As a teacher, I can assure you that if you want an audience's attention, you should lower your voice, not raise it.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Constantly lowering the TV during commercials.  The optimum is when I can watch a recorded show with NO commercials.  Many shows also play music and you cant hear the people that are speaking.  It's so annoying because it's usualky during a crucial moment in the show.

Respected Contributor

No, it's not just you.  Commercials are always louder than the programs to grab our attention. 

Honored Contributor

Did you know that this is actually against the law now? Congress passed the CALM Act and any station doing this can be reported. Here's more information about the act and how to file a complaint: https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/loud-commercials

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

My mute button has no more lettering on it. Movies? Forget it. Nothing breaks the mood like a commercial. I buy movies and watch them uninterrupted.

Esteemed Contributor

I like to DVR alot of shows that I watch......then I watch them and fast forward the commercials.....

Respected Contributor

I used the FTC form to complain about loud commercials about a year ago. The information that they required was very time consumming. It took me about five to seven minutes to complete the form.

Needles to say, I never got any feedback from the FTC.