Honored Contributor

If you could go back in time . . .

. . . what era of your life would you go back to? 

I would go back to being a young mom with babies.  I loved being a mom.

As a second choice, I had a good time during my 30s and 40s when I was divorced and had a fun social life (my babies were in their teens by then).

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: If you could go back in time . . .

I feel so blessed to have today I don't want to think about the past.  If I had to go back to the past, I would have to relive all the pain of the past as well as the happiness.  I'm content with today.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I feel so blessed to have today I don't want to think about the past.  If I had to go back to the past, I would have to relive all the pain of the past as well as the happiness.  I'm content with today.

How about a one-day (or even one-hour) journey?  I am with you - I would never want to go back to any past period for more than a quick 'visit'.  But if I could go back for just one hour or one day, it would be when my last child was born....my family was complete, there was so much excitement and love....yes, I could go back to one of those early days and enjoy the visit!

Esteemed Contributor

I would go back to my late 30's. I had gotten a great job, lost all the weight I wanted to on Weight Watchers, my kids were doing well in school, and all the people in the older generation of my family were still alive. I was going to aerobics, playing tennis, and still had great knees. Getting older, I realize how fantastic a knee-pain-free day really is. On the other hand, my grandchildren hadn't been born yet and I can't imagine life without them now.

Valued Contributor

I would go back to my late 30's, very early 40's.  I call those my "dumb, fat and happy years".    Woman Happy

Maria

Honored Contributor

I would choose to go back to when I was 5-15.  This was the time in my life when I was surrounded by all of my family, before anyone died.  I would hug my grandparents a little tighter, and held onto their hands a little longer.  I would pay more attention to conversations with my great aunts and uncles, and the distant relatives I was only going to see once in my lifetime.  I would play harder and longer with my best friend before she moved away.  I have wonderful memories of that time frame in my life, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have tried harder to make more memories of such a great time in my life.  

Honored Contributor

If I could go back in time, I think it would be my childhood and Jr. High years.  I had the best childhood.  The place would probably be  Grandma and Grandpa's farm.  I think of those times often.  It was Grandma and Grandpa, and Granny.  I learned so much from them and so many fun things to do!  Oh, and the food was great.  Grandma was a fantasic cook. My brother, sister, and I were their only 3 grandchildren and we didn't mind the "spoiling" one bit!

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I would choose to go back to when I was 5-15.  This was the time in my life when I was surrounded by all of my family, before anyone died.  I would hug my grandparents a little tighter, and held onto their hands a little longer.  I would pay more attention to conversations with my great aunts and uncles, and the distant relatives I was only going to see once in my lifetime.  I would play harder and longer with my best friend before she moved away.  I have wonderful memories of that time frame in my life, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have tried harder to make more memories of such a great time in my life.  

I'd go back just a little differently - from about 13 to 18, because those were the happiests and saddest of my young life.  Lost my brother-like cousin to polio. A grandmother to a stroke, and my high school sweetheart to a sad accident with a motor scooter. If I could go back, I'd keep him at my house a bit longer and he and that car wouldn't tie at an intersection. My best friend moved away during that time, and I was too busy with my own world to be too involved with older relatives, the likes of whom I have seldon since met. How I would love an hour more with each one. Everyone in my family is gone now except my present husbnd and my children, grands and great grands whom I cherish. But something changes when you're the oldest blood relative - it's hard to define, but it's a different kind of feeling.  They are all wonderfully respectful and loving, but when you know you're probably the next to go it's a little . . . . .

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

I'd go back just a little differently - from about 13 to 18, because those were the happiests and saddest of my young life.  Lost my brother-like cousin to polio. A grandmother to a stroke, and my high school sweetheart to a sad accident with a motor scooter. If I could go back, I'd keep him at my house a bit longer and he and that car wouldn't tie at an intersection. My best friend moved away during that time, and I was too busy with my own world to be too involved with older relatives, the likes of whom I have seldon since met. How I would love an hour more with each one. Everyone in my family is gone now except my present husbnd and my children, grands and great grands whom I cherish. But something changes when you're the oldest blood relative - it's hard to define, but it's a different kind of feeling.  They are all wonderfully respectful and loving, but when you know you're probably the next to go it's a little . . . . .

Yes, it is a little . . . I know exactly what you mean.  I almost feel as though it's their turn now and I don't really "belong" in the same way I once did.  There is still love, but . . . yes . . . different.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@CAshopper2011 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

How about a one-day (or even one-hour) journey?  I am with you - I would never want to go back to any past period for more than a quick 'visit'.  But if I could go back for just one hour or one day, it would be when my last child was born....my family was complete, there was so much excitement and love....yes, I could go back to one of those early days and enjoy the visit!

Nope.  Not even for an  hour.  I have lived past the pain of losing all my family, and if I went back I would have to experience that loss all over again.  You can't go back, you can't wish your life away, you can live for today and tomorrow.  

I'm sure my take is different than many because I have lost all my family, and I have two choices: mourn for the past or make the best of the future.  So I wouldn't want to be in the past and come back here because it would simply be painful.  

My mom wished her life away for time when she was a little girl with her momma and daddy.  She missed the best part of her life wishing for the past (and a past that was revised history by the way).  She taught me a very big lesson.  I thought some of you out there might feel like I do and maybe take comfort that you aren't along. . . I 'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but just to add a different perspective!  It's fun to read all of the posts.