Respected Contributor

oh my goodness friends,to all asking what's my point,I'm just expressing my feelings on this topic.jeeeees!

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

@Love my grandkids uh I guess because I don't understand young ppl s way of thinking.and as I said,I'm going back in my day,that's all

@Luvsmyfam I get your point.  You can afford a $25,000 wedding and not a downpayment on a house. . . yes, we are fuddy duddy's thinking only of how we will live in the future.  Not very "now" way of life. . . 

Honored Contributor

My daughter and her friends all have college degrees in science related fields.  Many of them have advanced degrees and make six figure salaries.  They have taken trips like this before one of their group gets married.  

Their money, their business.  They have memorable times on their trips.   And most have also been able to purchase their own homes as well, or will be able to very shortly.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I must be missing something here. No where did I see that the couple could not afford a down payment on a house or that they were asking for "cash only" gifts. Like someone else said many young people today make more money than we did at their age. If the bride can afford to foot the bill why would anyone care? 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

I must be missing something here. No where did I see that the couple could not afford a down payment on a house or that they were asking for "cash only" gifts. Like someone else said many young people today make more money than we did at their age. If the bride can afford to foot the bill why would anyone care? 

My take only:   "I didn't have the financial means to do this, so how can they?"

we all have different budgets.  On this board, I see posters asking how someone can pay over $100 for a handbag.  That person goes on to say  that she finds great bags for $50.  

Again....we all have different budgets.  Just because someone is spending their money on something that seems extravagant to you....it isn't for them.  

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@50Mickey "Caring" is not the same as mentioning it and comparing it to your life and time. It was a comment.  

Honored Contributor

Re: I must be a fuddy duddy

[ Edited ]

A rather distant relative is getting married this summer and I'm invited to the shower though I barely know her.  She's throwing the party herself, which seems strange to me.  ... Or at least it seems that way since RSVP's are returned to her directly.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@50Mickey "Caring" is not the same as mentioning it and comparing it to your life and time. It was a comment.  

It started out as a comment, but judgements and assumptions ensued.  Including ones that assumed someone spending money on a trip for herself and bridesmaids, should be saving that money for other things, such as a down payment on a house. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

A rather distant relative is getting married this summer and I'm invited to the shower though I barely know her.  She's throwing the party herself, which seems strange to me.  ... Or at least it seems that way since RSVP's are returned to her directly.

@ValuSkr  yea, that seems strange but maybe that's the "in" thing now. I always thought that the maid or matron of honor would give the shower.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes when things are so different from our own experiences it gives us pause. I don't think the OP was being critical, but the commenters were really piling on.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan