Esteemed Contributor

Luckily,I served last year.So I'm off the hook for a while. With Covid, no way would I go .I would get a doctors note.

Respected Contributor

I also received a summons for Federal court and have sent two letters back asking to be exempted.  I am almost 70 and have a lung disease as well as asthma.  I also don't drive on the interstate and it would be an hour or more away.  I hope they exempt me.  Years ago I would have loved to served.  This is the first time I have been summoned.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've been called many times, although I rarely served on a jury because my ex was a law enforcement officer.  I've always found the process very interesting and would welcome the opportunity to serve again.

Me too.  I always get sent home because my DH and my son are both law enforcement officers.  They think I can't be impartial.

My daughter was chosen to serve though, even though her father, brother and FIL were police officers.  The case was very emotional.  A man decapitated a small child during a domestic argument while a police officer was there.  He shot to stop him, but missed the guy  That type of case would be very difficult to sit through.

I wasn't there, but I was told the monster stared at the jury and tried to intimidate them and my daughter stared eight back at him and if looks could kill, he'd be dead. 

I have never served, but I am willing.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

If they call me to bad not doing this during a Pandemic.

@Nightowlz You do know you can be sent to jail for not complying?  I hear jail isn't so great in a pandemic either. 

@Sooner 

I know that but I'm still not doing it or going to jail.

In my area, they send somone out to pick you up and forcefully take you if you do not show up and have not been excused.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Sooner , I don't know @Nightowlz particular situation, but I'm sure she could get excused using one of the Covid questions.  They ask if you have an underlying condition or are over 65 and if you are asking to be excused due to that.  You can ask for an excuse if you have someone in your household at with fever, unexplained cough, or repiratory problems.  Maybe I could use the fact that I have a cat with asthma as an excuse.  I consider him family and even bought a Foodi Grill even though I have a perfectly functioning Jenn Aire grill becaue the Foodi would emit less smoke.  There's even a generic question Do you have ANY concerns related to Covid-19 that would affect your ability to serve.  You do have to explain though.  

Personally, I'm not using this panemic as an excuse to withdraw from life and it's responsibilities.  If someone is truly afraid and are stahing inside their home out of fear, then I consider that a perfectly acceptable excuse.  However, if they are going out and doing other things, then I think it's a cop-out to use Covid as an excuse not to serve.  I don't like jury duty, but I'm not going to use a lame excuse to get out of it.  Somebody needs to do the job.  

@Icegoddess 

All I know is they say the longer you are out among people the higher your risk.

I have been home all year except doctor, dentist appt plus picking up groceries. I'm not sitting in a courthouse full of people.

Unless they offer very frequent bathroom breaks that leaves me out. When I have to pee there is no waiting. LOL!!!

Right now the court houses where I live  are not allowing the jury to be in the courtroom.  They sit in another area and watch the proceedings on a large screen.  You would not be around other people and be be socially distanced.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've been called many times, although I rarely served on a jury because my ex was a law enforcement officer.  I've always found the process very interesting and would welcome the opportunity to serve again.

Me too.  I always get sent home because my DH and my son are both law enforcement officers.  They think I can't be impartial.

My daughter was chosen to serve though, even though her father, brother and FIL were police officers.  The case was very emotional.  A man decapitated a small child during a domestic argument while a police officer was there.  He shot to stop him, but missed the guy  That type of case would be very difficult to sit through.

I wasn't there, but I was told the monster stared at the jury and tried to intimidate them and my daughter stared eight back at him and if looks could kill, he'd be dead. 

I have never served, but I am willing.

@Carmie @Kachina624 , not all trials involve a crime and LEO's.  The one I got struck on wasn't even a case of whether the defendant was guilty or not.  He admittied that he struck the plaintiff with his car (not on purpose).  It was to determine how much money the plaintiff would receive.  

Honored Contributor

I've been called twice in my life for jury duty.  The first one, they called my number and I could not get out of.  I ended up being on the jury for a criminal trial.  It lasted one day.  The other one was about 2 years ago.  I managed to get out of that one, when they didn't call my number.  I feel like I'm walking around with a target on my back.  I can't seem to keep the criminal justice system away from me.  

Honored Contributor

I have served a few times and HAVE NOT found anything about it fun or interesting. Just boring, so flipping boring,------ you can see first hand how inefficient this the whole process is. And as for going to jail for not doing jury duty---REALLY??????You think the cops will throw down all that they are faced with, at this time in the world, to haul off someone to jail  who didn't go to jury duty????? Man alive, with this virus thing wrecking havoc,  what in the bloody he!! are courts thinking ------

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Luckily,I served last year.So I'm off the hook for a while. With Covid, no way would I go .I would get a doctors note.

Unbelievable, I thought your son was a lawyer.