Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

There's a lot between throwing the card away and ignoring the summons and actually going to the courthouse and serving.  In GA there is a top age I think 70. I have been called many times but only served on a jury twice. We have a # to call each night  and you may or may not need to show up the next day. They send the summons to way more people than they need. But it ties you up for a week.  All one has to do here is to ask for a deferral if they have a valid reason for not serving at the time of the summons. They will excuse you from duty at that time but you usually go to the head of the list for jury duty the next time. In the OP's case it sounds like she wants to serve. For many of us we would have serious concerns about sitting on a jury day after day for possibly weeks during a pandemic. I don't think the courts want to put people in a situation where they are so concerned about getting sick they they would not make attentive jurors. 

I served on a felony murder case. it was not fascinating at all. The jury is sent out of the courtroom over and over all day while the attorneys argue in front of the judge. The case resulted in a hung jury. 

@50Mickey It's not that I want to serve.  I feel like it is my duty to do so.  It's a lot like my workout at the gym.  I despise running, but I make myself do it becasue I know it is good for me.  Actually, I don't even want to go to the gym, but running is the worst part of it.  

Last time I went for local jury duty which was a couple of years ago, everybody showed up in one of the courtrooms.  First, they verified that everyone was there and then they started going through the reasons for excuse.  Once they had finsihed with the ones that would automatically be excused for cause.  They looked at how many they had left.  They knew how many they needed for the cases scheduled, so they then allowed more excuses for very little reason at all as long as they kept the core number that they needed.  But, they said that often once the defendants realized that court was actually going to happen, they would then plea bargain.  That particular week, a lot of the pool got sent home on Wednesday.  

They were really sneaky about how they did it though.  First, they sent a bunch home for the rest of the day and told them to return the following day.  The people left behind, of course, thought that meant they were going to be pulled for a jury.  After all those people left, they then told the rest of us that we were released.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I have served a few times and HAVE NOT found anything about it fun or interesting. Just boring, so flipping boring,------ you can see first hand how inefficient this the whole process is. And as for going to jail for not doing jury duty---REALLY??????You think the cops will throw down all that they are faced with, at this time in the world, to haul off someone to jail  who didn't go to jury duty????? Man alive, with this virus thing wrecking havoc,  what in the bloody he!! are courts thinking ------

Sounds like you are anti-cop.

Cops do not make the decision to take people to jail over jury duty.  The Court issues a summons for you to attend. If you do not, and haven't been excused, the court will come after you.  Usually the county sheriff or Federal law enforcement will come to your home to arrest you.  You will be fined and possible jailed.

It has been this way forever and cops are not involved with the judicial system.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@wagirl wrote:

I have served a few times and HAVE NOT found anything about it fun or interesting. Just boring, so flipping boring,------ you can see first hand how inefficient this the whole process is. And as for going to jail for not doing jury duty---REALLY??????You think the cops will throw down all that they are faced with, at this time in the world, to haul off someone to jail  who didn't go to jury duty????? Man alive, with this virus thing wrecking havoc,  what in the bloody he!! are courts thinking ------

Sounds like you are anti-cop.

Cops do not make the decision to take people to jail over jury duty.  The Court issues a summons for you to attend. If you do not, and haven't been excused, the court will come after you.  Usually the county sheriff or Federal law enforcement will come to your home to arrest you.  You will be fined and possible jailed.

It has been this way forever and cops are not involved with the judicial system.  

@Carmie It didn't sound to me like @wagirl is anti-cop, just a bit misinformed if she thinks cops get to decide what tasks they will do or won't do.  

I saw a news segment the other day about a Sheriff's Deputy who's current job was to enforce eviction notices.  He didn't want to be doing that job, but he did it. He did give one elderly lady a 1-day reprieve because she had nowhere to go and he felt it was too hot for her to be out on the street.  I think he called HHS to see if they could help her out, but it was only a 1-day reprieve.  

Respected Contributor

The last time I got called years ago it was for a gay murder case and I was stunned at the intrusive nature of the questionaire we were asked to fill out if picked for jury duty on that case. Wow...nosey. Glad I had an excuse because I would not have felt comfortable filling out all those forms asking very personal questions.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   I saw that news segment also.  

The sheriffs that I know have a difficult time putting the elderly people out of their homes for not paying their real estate taxes as well.  It is a shame that when you get old and have no money, you get tossed out of your home that you worked so hard  to buy.

I guess I just get so tired of people putting  all police officers down all of the time.  

If @wagirl  is not anti-cop, I hope she accepts my apology.  I am sorry if I misjudged her.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Icegoddess   I saw that news segment also.  

The sheriffs that I know have a difficult time putting the elderly people out of their homes for not paying their real estate taxes as well.  It is a shame that when you get old and have no money, you get tossed out of your home that you worked so hard  to buy.

I guess I just get so tired of people putting  all police officers down all of the time.  

If @wagirl  is not anti-cop, I hope she accepts my apology.  I am sorry if I misjudged her.

@Carmie, I didn't get that vibe from her either. And I am neither 100 percent for or against.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@silkyk   The questionnaire is not meant to be "invasive" but rather is used by the court to speed up the "voir dire" of jurors for the selection process used by the attorneys for each side.

The lawyers want to see what potential bias you would have as a potential juror. 

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@silkyk   The questionnaire is not meant to be "invasive" but rather is used by the court to speed up the "voir dire" of jurors for the selection process used by the attorneys for each side.

The lawyers want to see what potential bias you would have as a potential juror. 

aroc3435

@aroc3435 I would probaby prefer to answer those questions on a questionairre rather than in front of all the prospective jurors.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

aroc3435

@aroc3435 I would probaby prefer to answer those questions on a questionairre rather than in front of all the prospective jurors.  

@Icegoddess @aroc3435   I thought most people knew they would be questioned one way or another to see if they would be approved by the lawyers. I guess not everyone watches Law and Order.

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

aroc3435

If you would have seen the questions (I am well aware of the meaning of the term invasive and these WERE) I wonder if you would have been more than happy to answer questions pertaining to your s*x life/past partners etc (because of the nature of the case the questions went there) and then wondered just where they would end up and who would be reading those filled out forms. Guess I'm just funny that way but that's none of their business IMHO. I don't kiss and tell to get on a jury.