Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Had Such Good Intentions This Holiday

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Harpa   I have a friend that made the most delicious pizzelles at Christmas.  Sadly they moved away and I have not had them in years.

I'm sure yours will turn out just fine!

@Mom2Dogs, That is very kind of you to say! One never knows, though! That's on the agenda for tomorrow. I miss my DM's expert baking (I miss my DM!!). Not only did I used to make my own, but she used to make me stacks!

You can come over and be my guinea pig, if you want! With real butter and my homemade vanilla, what could possibly go wrong?

Honored Contributor

@rms1954   I don't celebrate Christmas, but seeing friends/neighbors knocking themselves out each year with outdoor lighting, indoor decor and cooking/baking for the holiday does seem overwhelming. 

When I do have holiday baking, I'm lucky to have an extra freezer and all cakes and cookies are baked a little at a time and frozen. 

My Hanukkah tree went up mid-Oct. this year since Hanukkah was around Thanksgiving (?!?!). I'm leaving it up to the end of Jan., just because I enjoy seeing the lights at night. We'll take our time putting it away.

Sometimes, holidays in general, do seem overwhelming. We see people rushing around with cooking and gift shopping and we feel it necessary to get on the stick. I follow my own time table which is a much slower pace.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa  I have not met a cookie I did not like!!  I'd be over if we were close in location.

My mom has been gone for 30 years - she died at 62...miss her every day, as well as my dad.

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 

My heart aches for you. Please treat yourself right so you don't feel overwhelmed.

If you don't enjoy decorating, just get out a couple items, and those who really care about it can do the rest.  If it weren't for my husband, we would only have a few items out because I don't enjoy the decorating.  He does the rest, what he wants.

If you enjoy baking, that's what you should be doing.  

They were talking about this on the radio recently, how the bulk of holiday preparations fall on the women of the household.  Certainly not true in all cases, but in many.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the encouragement.  Guess I'm just feeling nostalgic and a bit sad that I'm getting old and i feel alone.  

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 

I did the same no ornaments and it's just as pretty with just a tree topper🎄🙂

This week I added the snowmen ornaments & some garland -- so far spouse has noticed🤦‍♀️😉

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Thanks for all the encouragement.  Guess I'm just feeling nostalgic and a bit sad that I'm getting old and i feel alone.  

Yes, i do really understand.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Imtep, You definitely are not alone. These posts ring true for so many of us. Whether we celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah, the shopping, cleaning, cooking & baking become too difficult as we age. I used to host Thanksgiving for 20 people for years. Done with that ... just too hard.

I pick just a very few easy recipes we love & the rest of the treats are store bought. If I wind up with groceries I bought but didn't use, I donate them to food pantries ( if they are shelf stable items).

I wish you a peaceful holiday season & hope you will just sit back with a warm beverage, a favorite movie or some special music to relax with.