Respected Contributor

Re: How often do you call (not text) your family?

I don't have much immediate family.  My brother is my neighbor so we see each other frequently.  My sister burned the bridge with myself and my brother 20+ years back.  We occasionally email, but I am cautious.

Respected Contributor

@sue311 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 what works for one family will not work for others. She loves that about me. For example, right now she is going through something and she lives like 16 hours away. She knows I will leave my job right now and drive there if she needs me.

You can sugar coat it all you want, but unless someone's life is in immediate peril, telling them that you'll call the police if they don't call you back is intrusive and overreaching. If your sister tolerates it, good for her. But it still doesn't make it ok. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Regular Contributor

Honored Contributor

I talk to my dad every day.  He has an iphone but doesn't text.  We have included him on a family group chat and he gets a big kick out of reading all the texts and seeing all the pictures.  LOL

I text my kids every day when they're at school.  We talk a couple times a week. 

When my mom was still alive, I talked to her every morning and we texted throughout the day as needed. 

Trusted Contributor

My daughter call me everyday.  We text too.

Respected Contributor

@sue311   Interesting topic.  All I have left in the world is one sister who is 10 years younger.  Happily, we both love each other very much, and we live only about 15 minutes from each other.  Having said that, I'll add that we both work full time and have busy lives as most people do.  I love texting because we can get a quick message to the other without feeling like we are catching them at a bad time or interrupting their day.

When we have something important to discuss, then we will definitely talk on the phone, and it can easily go on for an hour!  We'd probably be better off calling more frequently so we'd have less to talk about when we do call!  We don't see each other as often as we should, but we do get together with her DH's family fairly often and have a ball with them!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

The relatives of my generation are chatty on the phone.  I'm a bit hard of hearing on the phone, I prefer text or Messenger.   I'm fine face to face.

Now the younger generation loves to text.   Which is fine with me, I don't feel  like I have to respond immediately and I have a record of the communication.    Comes in handy when making plans in the future, I will always have the date & time.

I have no siblings and my parents are gone.   My kids keep up with me so I feel no need to reach out, just because.    I reach out when I want to.

Honored Contributor

My children hold down very demanding jobs and the last thing they would need is me calling them daily. I usually let them get in touch with me unless there is something very important I need to tell them.

I had a mom that needed daily attention and expected me to cater to her every whim. I never wanted that for my children from me. So I let them set the terms for contact and it has worked well for our family......

Honored Contributor

I call my SIL every week---my brother calls me every few weeks--bff calls less than that. text each one a few times but not often.

Esteemed Contributor

Once or twice a month.