Regular Contributor

How often do you call (not text) your family?

Some time ago I read in the newspaper where this woman's sister got killed. When asked when was the last time they spoke, she said years. 

Even though I would speak to my sister regularly, since reading that I make sure I call her every 2 weeks. She is very busy and has a lot going on so I make sure to stay in touch. Once I called, she did not answer. I texted her that if she does not call me I will call the police. She texted me right away Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How often do you call (not text) your family?

I'm a CSR. I take 100ish calls a day. I never (extremely rare) talk on the phone to anyone.

Respected Contributor

@sue311 wrote:

Some time ago I read in the newspaper where this woman's sister got killed. When asked when was the last time they spoke, she said years. 

Even though I would speak to my sister regularly, since reading that I make sure I call her every 2 weeks. She is very busy and has a lot going on so I make sure to stay in touch. Once I called, she did not answer. I texted her that if she does not call me I will call the police. She texted me right away Woman Happy

If my sister pulled that stunt with me, we'd be having a very, very unpleasant conversation about minding her own business! If someone is "very busy and has a lot going on", it's quite likely that they simply aren't available to take your call. Leave a message and they'll get back to you at their convenience. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Super Contributor

I speak to my sister at least once per week, my dad 1-2 x/week.  However, I only speak to my mother a few times per year - the relationship is strained - she was physically and verbally abusive when we were children, and even as adults, the verbal abuse continues. 

Honored Contributor

I talk to my sister every day.  We text, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 what works for one family will not work for others. She loves that about me. For example, right now she is going through something and she lives like 16 hours away. She knows I will leave my job right now and drive there if she needs me.

Valued Contributor

Interesting, @sue311.  My family members and I call each other often. This includes kids, siblings, and cousins. We text, too, but you can share a lot more in a phone call.

I even write letters to a few family members.  Lots of people I know still enjoy getting a letter in the mail!

Respected Contributor

My family is close....but none of us are real phone chatterers.  Two of my sibs still work....I wait for them to contact me.  Keep in touch with others almost daily on FB.  I call another sib who lives alone about once a week or so (or she calls me) just to check in and maybe make plans to meet up for lunch or a quick shopping trip.  We all tend to use the phone calls more for when we have to communicate important info.  We also do group texts when something is up,

I worked for 40+ years at jobs where I was on the phone all day....so never developed the habit  of long chatty phone calls in the evening at home....that was the last thing I wanted to do after working all day.

Get an occasional FaceTime call from grandchildren, which is fun.

Honored Contributor

@sue311 wrote:

@sue311   I text back and forth with my kids about every other day and we touch base by phone on the weekends. Of course, if anything comes up that requires a call during the week, they or I don’t hesitate. I do admit I dislike the texting thing. Speaking to someone is so much better than a quick message w/ a emoji.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I'm a CSR. I take 100ish calls a day. I never (extremely rare) talk on the phone to anyone.

@Mary Bailey   Family either?