Honored Contributor

We are sizing up.  My nephew, his wife and their 8 year old daughter will live with us permanently.  He's like a son to us and they have been with us for over 2 years.  We were very happy that they were with us during Covid.  We are all happy but we do need more room and a yard for Skyla.  Hubby also wants out of a condo and into house with some land for BBQ and maybe even a pool.  We downsized  10 years ago from a big house to our condo and it was fine but Covid changed us.   So, we're house hunting.  We have three open houses tomorrow.  All here in town where I hope to stay.  I love our town!  While I won't like looking for a house, I'm going to love decorating.  I'm going to love having more room to entertain like we used to.  This will be the last move for us.  The home will grow old in.  Hubby has been on Zillow all day.  He has sent me at least 30 houses he likes.  So many I stopped looking at my phone.   

Respected Contributor

Re: House hunting is not fun!

Would you go back to your former house if it was on the market?

Respected Contributor

Hi @chrystaltree  I sold my house on the west coast in May this year, but I'm renting it from the new owner now. I looked at a plethora of houses in the Northeast online and made a couple offers. But the houses entered bidding wars, and I didn't compete. So, I decided to build a new house that's near my child and near one of my siblings in the Northeast.

The completion and closing date has already been pushed back due to supply chain issues and a shortage of workers. It's been frustrating. However, one of the joys is being able to pick out the finishes I want. Although since the date has been pushed later again, I've changed my mind on my choice for the kitchen countertop, the kitchen backsplash, and the accent tile in the large primary bathroom. New options were added that I like even more. Lol

While I'm waiting for the house to be built, I've ordered some window coverings that arrived and some furniture pieces that are backordered for months.

It will be my "forever home". I hope you make wonderful memories and enjoy yours.

Frequent Contributor

Chrys...Good Luck with your search.

I'm thinking of downsizing from a 4 br.house to a 2 br. Condo..I have so many "reservations"..will I like it? Etc.

Was it had to adjust?

And so much to get rid of years worth!

Super Contributor

Your timing is good. My DH is a realtor and the nation-wide-red-hot-market has cooled off a bit. And some people that moved in the last year are having buyers remorse which will put more houses on the market. We tried condo living and while we enjoyed it, we're so happy to be back in a house! Good luck in your search!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  No, house hunting is not fun.  Mainly because of the lack of inventory and what I perceive as somewhat overpricing.  Takes a lot of patience, some compromise and a lot of work.  We're looking for a second home in Manhattan and it is very frustrating.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

hope your house hunting goes well.....last time i went house hunting was in 1976.....just signed the house over to my grown children......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would love too.  We are in California.  The house my parents bought for 23,000 in 1958, is now 3.5 million  they sold in the late 70's for about 88,000.  But now??  Wow, no I could not do it.   Who knew.   

Esteemed Contributor

@DesertGems: I sold the 4 BR house in favor of a 2 BR townhouse 3 years ago. Downsized & moved closer to the one kid who is in a house and is staying put. 

Very, very happy with my decision. I moved 55 miles from where I had lived and raised my family. I realize that's not for everyone, but I took a leap of faith and I am so happy that I did!

Honored Contributor

Houses here are selling so fast, they have offers pending when they're first listed.  I've seen people on the NextDoor app beg, beg for someone to rent them a house, with no responses.  No apartments for rent either.   Talk about a housing crisis. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment