Honored Contributor

Re: House hunting is not fun!

LOVE to look at houses online!

I LOVE our house and it was designed around my antiques.  We have wonderful neighbors and are in a small well kept neighborhood with a maintained middle (grass, flowers, and trees) and glady pay yearly dues for this.

NO through traffic.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree   How fun, a new adventure AND having permanent family living with you...that is something that I could not do but happy if that is what you want!

I'd love to move but it's not in my future.

Enjoy decorating when you find your new home.

Honored Contributor

Good Luck @chrystaltree . Enjoy your family, I know I couldn’t be without mine when I am with them. I would love for mine to be closer to us.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree Wishing you well in your search.   We downsized a few years ago to a townhouse and while we like it and have adjusted (for us it took a little while).  Recently  we have been contemplating going back to a smaller home.  Not sure what we'll do, just know I can't take many more "moves".........not that we've done a lot but it's a brutal undertaking.  We are just kind of surfing the websites to see what's out there.   I would really like to be closer to the water (we're in RI) maybe even nearby Ma.  We'll see.

Honored Contributor

I'm looking forward to if ever DH retires and we can downsize a little. My issue is by the time I find a place w/ lg. enough kitchen (I still love cooking and baking), a master bath w/ 2 sinks and a huge room for my studio, I may as well stay here until the nursing home. LOL 😂 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus We had looked and looked and not found what we wanted.  This house has a kitchen/den or great room combo, which wasn't ideal we thought.  However, it had everything else on the list and more, was in the ideal neighborhood and they took our top price limit.

However, the kitchen is great!  Oddly I have lost my enthusiasm for cooking as a hobby even before we moved and for parties and us this turned out to be a great setup.  Ideal!  And we enjoy not being in another space when cooking or cleaning.  

When you switch houses, something about your routine changes is my experience.  And ours was all good!  I'd cook on a hotplate on the patio for my new closet!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner    You seem to have your priorities in order. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DREAD THE THOUGHT ... still remember looking to buy the house we are in now 30 years ago.... I have 30 years worth of ****** to get rid of.... Moving sucks too.... Do not want to think about it EVER...

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Would you go back to your former house if it was on the market?

No, we raised our girls in that house and I loved it but it's a huge 150 year old colonial and like all old houses, there's a lot of upkeep.  I drive by it sometimes.  I miss the lilacs in the spring and the rose bushes but not the house itself.  I want something newer and modern  with lots of light.  Also that house heats with oil and we don't want that.  

Honored Contributor

@mspemberley wrote:

Your timing is good. My DH is a realtor and the nation-wide-red-hot-market has cooled off a bit. And some people that moved in the last year are having buyers remorse which will put more houses on the market. We tried condo living and while we enjoyed it, we're so happy to be back in a house! Good luck in your search!

That's true for this area.  People put off moving with all that was going on with covid, there was fear about jobs and finances.  But the housing market is wide open now.  We saw three lovely homes today.  Two would be perfect for us but we jump too quickly....or wait too long.  I like our condo but we need a family house now.  Even if it was just going to be hubby and me, the older we got, the more we wanted a house with some land.