Respected Contributor

Re: House hunting is not fun!

I knew that I wanted to sell my house a couple years ago, and then along came the pandemic. I had already purged some items (dishes, clothes, old papers, etc.) after living in this house 17 years, but staying home gave me time to drill down and purge even more. In May, I gave some furniture away, had a few small updates done in the house, and sold my house in 2 days. In June, because I thought I was moving by July or August 1st, I packed 90% of my things. - And when I couldn't get 2 offers I made accepted on houses, I decided to build.

I'm living in a Legoland of 75 packed boxes. I left some things in the kitchen cupboards and bathrooms, and my clothes are in dressers & in the closets yet. When I can't find something I need like more dental floss, I just go buy more. I purged a 3rd time as I packed, thinking "do I really need/want that item?" and "what would my child to with this if something happened to me?"

Purging is work, but it can also be freeing. I feel less bogged down. I think I could still get rid of more clothes, and I probably kept too many pieces of my mom's crystal, but I might purge a little more before I move.

If you're thinking of moving within the next year or so, you may want to start purging now. It's a lot less stress to go through and purge a small section at a time.

Honored Contributor

I sold my house this Jan, in 2 days, was in a bidding war with 10 people, one that submitted 3 offers. House was built in 1986 for about $100,000 which included the 2 1/2 acres of land--sold it $140,000 over list price-----now I am in an apartment and have to figure out what to do for my old age-----hate apartments, but do not want any of the hassle a house brings as well as the crazy prices that they cost---would love to pick out my own interiors and colors--a conundrum to be sure. 

Respected Contributor

Why aren't they living on their own? 

I think house hunting is fun! Get a great realtor! 

Honored Contributor

Would I choose to go back to our old house if I could.... NO..... beautiful home, lived in it for ten years but the house was just too big.  When we moved to this state we didn't have many options at all..... so the one we picked was a brand new 5 bedroom, 3 bath on 5 acres.  Great, beautiful house and property but too much.

We sold that one and then the race began.... houses in.the city are at a premium and some are very, very old.  We picked one built around 1960 and it is a very comfortable house.  We love it.  (We lost out on four other properties and very glad because this is the one we really, really love.)   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

The best option now is to get a new built. You won't get outbid on those and you have the choice to choose which style.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who had a new house built in New Mexico (4 bed/3 bath) $325,000.  Sold paid off house in PNW for 1.7 million in 4 days.  Good payday!

Trusted Contributor

We have two sons who are in the process of selling their houses. One may have an offer coming in tomorrow and the other just went on the market officially a week ago. We are now looking to downsize to a one-story home. We have so much space we don't use due to the stairs.  Very hard to find a one-story in our market right now and prices are crazy-high here. 
be sure and check Redfin and Realtor.com. Get a real estate agent. They will more than earn their commission with the legwork and access to houses coming on the market before you can see them by looking yourself. One thing that has changed here is that buyers are waiving inspections which I think is nuts. They are afraid the house will sell to someone else so they make offers over asking price and waive inspection. Seems risky to me! Good luck! 

Esteemed Contributor

@DesertGems wrote:

Chrys...Good Luck with your search.

I'm thinking of downsizing from a 4 br.house to a 2 br. Condo..I have so many "reservations"..will I like it? Etc.

Was it had to adjust?

And so much to get rid of years worth!

Overall, my advice is to stay put. I went from a good-size home to a small townhome --- HATED every day living in it. 20 years ago, I managed to buy a good-size home - with space, sun - and a nice backyard. So much happpier. Don't forget those high condo fees - and you could be living too close to neighbors. I also dislike those Homeowner Associations.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Houses here are selling so fast, they have offers pending when they're first listed.  I've seen people on the NextDoor app beg, beg for someone to rent them a house, with no responses.  No apartments for rent either.   Talk about a housing crisis. 

I'm in southern California - housing prices and rents have sky-rocketed - and will continue going higher due to the demand. Very few homes for sale - and many offers. Housing hasn't kept up with the demand.