Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand why it's considered "weird" to be at a bar and also read a book. In my younger days when I traveled for my job, I'd go to the hotel bar for a glass of wine but I'd always take a book with me. I didn't want to be bothered by guys thinking I was there for other reasons. And, after my divorce I'd go to my favorite restaurant, sit in the bar area and order something to eat. That was easier for me than sitting in the restaurant with families and happy couples! Again, I'd take a book or newspaper with me. That was always my protection and my "don't bother me" signal.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I don't understand why it's considered "weird" to be at a bar and also read a book. In my younger days when I traveled for my job, I'd go to the hotel bar for a glass of wine but I'd always take a book with me. I didn't want to be bothered by guys thinking I was there for other reasons. And, after my divorce I'd go to my favorite restaurant, sit in the bar area and order something to eat. That was easier for me than sitting in the restaurant with families and happy couples! Again, I'd take a book or newspaper with me. That was always my protection and my "don't bother me" signal.

@jannabelle1  It's not weird at all. 

Honored Contributor

Sounds great.  I refrain from alcohol because of the mediciine I take.  I don't feel like going into La La Land before my time.  When I was younger I liked a slow gin fizz in the summer months, I also like vodka martinis with olives stuffed with blue cheese.  Yum.

kindness is strength