Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone bought white vinegar lately?

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Seems the price has sky rocketed.I use it as fabric softener(never had any machine probs) and throw a tablespoon in when making hard cooked eggs (keeps the white from spreading).

Hubbs tells me petroleum is used in the manuf. process.

@Group 5 minus 1 Keeps the whites from spreading where?  I would think the shell keeps them from going anywhere.  

@Icegoddess - If an eggshell has an unnoticed hairline crack or cracks while in the boiling water, the egg white will spread outside the shell.

Vinegar keeps that from happening.  It's a well-known, ages-old hack.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Sooner @haddon9 - And in those days ($2000 car; $21,000 house) most people were lucky if they were earning a minimum wage of around $1.50 an hour, depending on where you were.

Things have to be kept in perspective.  Prices rise, so do wages.

I certainly know I'm much better off today than my parents were back then.  They could never afford the things I've been able to.

And house prices vary greatly, dependent upon which area you live in.

@Venezia But remember lots of things in those days were more expensive in relative terms, but lasted many times longer, and provided a job so your neighbors could buy a house and raise a family--often on one income. 

As you say it is all relative. 

Honored Contributor

@Venezia Thanks for saying that. I forgot to add it to my post.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

The plastic jug, that the vinegar comes in, probably costs more than the vinegar itself.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Seems the price has sky rocketed.I use it as fabric softener(never had any machine probs) and throw a tablespoon in when making hard cooked eggs (keeps the white from spreading).

Hubbs tells me petroleum is used in the manuf. process.

@Group 5 minus 1 Ethyl alcohol synthesized from natural gas or petroleum products can be used in the starting process of making white vinegar.

However that process does not apply to all brands.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

I've been buying my white vinegar at my local Dollar General for over 3 years for a dollar....works well and sometimes they have the apple cider for a dollar....I utilize their ONE dollar isle and have saved a ton! Smiley Happy  Apple cider is always at my local Dollar Tree for $1.25

Respected Contributor

White vinegar is $3 a gallon at our local grocery store, even cheaper at the warehouse stores.

A bargain for all the uses it provides.  I do a lot of canning so use the 5% acidity.  When I use it as a weed killer I use the 30% acidity, mixed with salt and a splash of Dawn dish detergent.  Works great on the driveway and walkway.

Respected Contributor

I clean with it, just purchased large bottles at Costco. I did not notice that they were especially expensive. 

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1, I was going to buy a gallon from the A---z... store online and it was

$15.99/gallon for their store brand. I checked with the A---z store Fresh and it was $3.60 for the same bottle.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  I will have to try that tip, when cooking hard boiled eggs. Sometimes they are hard to peel.

If I cooked 4-6 eggs, how much vinegar should I use?