Honored Contributor

Has anyone ever sold their silver flatware? This is solid ss. Towle service for 8,6 piece place setting. Legato pattern

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Respected Contributor

Yes, in 2021 when silver was at an all-time high, I sold a set to Northern Refineries after reading many reviews of different companies.  I mailed it to them, and the process was very straight forward and went seamlessly.  The website tells how to do it, but I also spoke to the owner when I had some questions, and he kept me updated through email during the process.

I first checked a local place that buys gold and silver but got $300 more even minus the postage mailing it to Northern Refineries.

Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 5.45.17 AM.png

Respected Contributor

Yes. Sold my mom's set in 2018 when we sold her home and she was in assisted living. She never used that set; it stayed in it's wooden box in her closet. I don't recall the details, type, or amount of service but it was a big box of it. Anyway, in 2018 I got $650 from a local gold/silver buyer.

I'm not even sure what gold/silver is going for today. I have some scrap jewelry to sell, so I need to check it out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Silver flatware

[ Edited ]

I had looked into Replacements for my Mom's set of sterling flatware. It was not quite 20 years ago. They said a table knife was $1. I figured it would cost more to ship it. So the flatware is still sitting in the chest.

Still don't know what I am going to do with it.

Respected Contributor

@amyb gold is at an all-time high.  I have a 25gm 14k gold 6mm wide omega bought new in 1999 for $369.  Last week, it appraised at $8,500.00.  Yes, you read that right.  Gold is $2,173 per ounce right now.  It's a perfect time to sell.  I've read that silver is going to have its turn for high prices this fall.

Honored Contributor

you would do better selling it all separately on ebay....forks are going 40$

Honored Contributor

Re: Silver flatware

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

Yes, in 2021 when silver was at an all-time high, I sold a set to Northern Refineries after reading many reviews of different companies.  I mailed it to them, and the process was very straight forward and went seamlessly.  The website tells how to do it, but I also spoke to the owner when I had some questions, and he kept me updated through email during the process.

I first checked a local place that buys gold and silver but got $300 more even minus the postage mailing it to Northern Refineries.

Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 5.45.17 AM.png

@Ainhisg I still have mom's SS set of utensils.  I don't think she ever used the set.  It's still in the wooden box and all are wrapped in plastic sleeves that it came in.  I'm going to look into this company.  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 that's the exact situation I had...silver in plastic bags in the wooden box--never used. That must have been the thing to buy "back in the day." This company was honest with great communication, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.  I was a bit nervous to do it this way, and I did insure the package.  And one never knows about the integrity of a business.  But I had read good reviews of this company so took the plunge, and it worked out well.

I don't know if you saw my other post, but I've read that silver is going to shoot up in price this fall.  I haven't researched this claim, but you might do that and also track the price of silver for a bit.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg Thanks for another good tip!  I may wait to see if silver goes up. 

Right now the box is sitting in my dining room and I have been wondering what to do with it.  I've had it for several years.  It was a wedding gift that my mother got and it goes back to 1950.

Respected Contributor

I have my mother's sterling silver flatware in the original silver case. it is a complete set right down to cream soup spoons and cocktail forks. My great aunt bought this for my mother when my mother was in college and every piece is monogrammed. So I don't think that anyone would buy it. It's a discontinued pattern Candlelight by Towle. It is in the bottom of my closet. My oldest daughter has her own ss flatware and  my youngest daughter doesn't want anything that she has to polish. So i guess that will be their problem after I go. Along with my grandmother and mother's crystal.